warrior problems

Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum

Help Support Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mrfarinhight

Reaction score
Hi i'm new here but i have an 01 warrior and recently i tried to start it but all it would do is make a clicking noise. so i connected a battery pack and it started right up, then stalled. after it stalled it would keep making clicking noise. so i used a jumper cable and connected it to a car and it was cranking but it wasn't starting. not sure if it is a bad idea to use jumper cables or not but i think too much power went through it and fried somthing electrical. now with nothing connected to it it will crank but it wont start up. i've suspected that it was a bad stator and i am planning on buying a new stator. any ideas on something that could be wrong other than the stator? and if it is the stator, which kind should i buy?
thanks

how do you know its the battery?
the lights come on still so it can't be the battery

it isnt the battery. if it was the battery the lights wouldnt come on would they? that doesnt make sense. the battery is fine. when i push the start button and everything is on, it makes the sound like it is cranking and NOT clicking. the usual sound it makes when you start it up. it just wont start up though

No thats just it. There IS enough juice to start it, but it won't.
I dont think you understand what i'm saying.
Ok say you bought a warrior stock from the dealer.
You take it home and press the start button to start it up.
It makes the noise it is supposed to when you push the start button, and then starts.
Well with my warrior, I go in to start it up, press the start button, it makes the noise it is supposed to when you press it, but it DOESN'T start.
Not sure if that makes sense but thats what happening.

EDIT: I'm going to check the connections tomorrow didn't get a chance today but I'll let ya know.

it isnt the battery. if it was the battery the lights wouldnt come on would they? that doesnt make sense. the battery is fine. when i push the start button and everything is on, it makes the sound like it is cranking and NOT clicking. the usual sound it makes when you start it up. it just wont start up though

Well yes.. the battery can have enough power to run lights, but not enough to turn the engine over. But you sound like you are saying the engine is turning over.
either spark or fuel is your problem. If you checked the plug and you have spark then the problem is most likely fuel. There are other mechanical problems that can cause it not to start, but if it worked fine the last time u ran it and there was no unusual noises then check spark and/or fuel.
Dont bother with a new stator yet. The stator is like an alternator and is more for electricity after the quad is started.
Pull the plug, hook the wire back up to it and see if u have spark by putting your tongue on the plug while u crank it.. KIDDING.. u will be able to see it and hear it as you crank.
If you don't have spark u need to check the coil connections and all the connections under the seat and tank. If those are good I would take it to a mechanic to check the coil and any ECUs it may have.
If you have good spark start by emptying your gas tank and removing the fuel petcock (on/off valve) and make sure that the little screens arent plugged up. from there the next step would be the carb.
If you dont know much about carbs I would have some one take it apart for you and thourghly clean it out.
Hope fully that will fix your problem.

Well I found something else out. I charged the battery fully, tried to start it and it sounded like it was gonna start (no clicking), so i left it alone. I came back later and tried to start again, but there was a clicking noise and the battery was dead. Should i just buy a new batter or what causes battery to lose power (No lights were turned on, On/off switch was off)while left alone? And when i say i came back later, i mean a few hours later.

your key was turned off whenever you left it right? if your battery charges up it should be good. like DSW said, push start the thing and get it started and when youre riding it should charge the battery

Its not the stator, and it might not be the battery.

This is a common problem on the warrior and im amazed nobody here has pointed it out yet. It might be your starter relay. Make sure the battery terminals are tight on the relay also.

But its most likely the starter relay. Cross the terminals on the top of the relay with a screwdriver, if it turns over then the relay is bad. No need for a multimeter as thats a simple way to check.

The relay is the little round gold thing under the left rear fender. Your battery terminals connect here and go to the battery so its easy to find.

oh yea forgot all about the starter seinoid.. yeah mine craped throught it was the starter ended up replacing.. big bo bo

Yeah I went to dealership and bought new battery. Charged for 2 hours & popped it in. Tried starting and it started the first couple times then stalled. Then it wouldn't start at all. I'm thinking whatever gives the spark to spark plug is the problem. Plug is fine, cleaned it then put a fresh one in. I'll check starter relay tomorrow. Another problem I'm having, not sure if has happened before, but the Casing that comes around stock lights vibrates really really bad when we're riding. You can even hear it with helmet on over the roar of engines. There is 2 parts of the casing, one that bolts to bike, and other that holds light in place. Where they come together has a little bit of play in it and it is annoying as hell when it vibrates. I took lights apart, and there is no screw or bolt that makes that tighter. Thanks

If it is getting spark to start, shouldn't it be getting spark otherwise? Take your wire off the plug and make sure it is getting power. If you can't tell just by looking in the cap, take a screwdriver and put it in the plug cap and lay it near the frame with a gap between the two; hit the starter and watch for spark between the cap and frame (you can hear it as well). MAKE SURE NOT TO TOUCH THE SCREWDRIVER OR ANY OTHER CONDUCTIVE MATERIAL ON THE MACHINE! If you are getting spark, it sounds like a fuel problem. Are you leaving it to idle and it bogs out? You may just need to adjust your idle screw a little if your motor is stock. Had it set for a fairly long period of time?

Back