valves or rings?

Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum

Help Support Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

swampman

Reaction score
I have an 01 warrior that I bought knowing that it was gonna have some problems. the only thing I can't figure out now is that when I start it up, it blows out blue smoke for a minute or 5 minutes, depending on how often I ride it. the funny thing is the guy I got it from just rebuilt it from the piston and rings to resetting the valves. he ported and polished it, bored it .20 over. even when I ride it I can still smell it burning the oil when I really start getting on it. I changed the oil and filter and the filter was just packed with metal shavings. it made no difference after I changed the filter. the valves are loud and ticky just like all warriors are i think so anybody have a solution to this stupid problem? I've even had to fix the carb by putting a new jet in it because it broke inside but wasn't rolling around, just kind of loose. I readjusted the fuel mixture screw to the stock setting

the best solution is to pull the top end off the bike and look at his work and she what he did not do right and when u do that put valve seals and rings in the cyclinder and hone the cyclinder but i bet the buy probley overbored the cyclinder a little to much and well just check all the clearences for the piston and rings in th jug and do a nother valve job and make sure the valve seats are seated good cause if u still have carbon on the valve seats when u do a valve job the carbon is thicker then u think and itholds the valve open a little bit and will burn oil and not runn just right

I'm just kinda frustrated with the whole thing so I think I'm gonna tear down the head and put a 430 cam kit in it and next size up the piston. he says that he bored it .20 over but we'll just see about that.

You really should just tear the whole top end apart again and redo everything through someone that is trusted. I had a guy that normally works with funnybikes do the bore and hone work and it was right on spec to the piston and cylinder clearance. Even after the initial break in there was almost no metal shavings in there. The guy probably didn't install new oil seals on the valves, or arrange the piston ring gaps correctly. If he had a really sloppy job done on the bore it could also be scratched, that would also leak oil into the cylinder. If you buy OEM parts go to the south seattle sports plaza link in the links section, they have VERY low prices. It usually takes a couple weeks to get the parts though, that's the only catch. You should be able to buy all new components for the head (rockers and such) for very cheap there. Don't forget all the orings and seals, you can very often get all of them in a package for 25 bucks. Check at motoman for a top end gasket and seal kit for cheap. I wouldn't use the metal gasket for the cylinder head though, get a cometic for the cylinder/cylinder head mating surface. For a cheap tool to remove the rocker arms look at mac tools' web site and look up slide hammers. Look at the 5lb knocker set that only costs 35 bucks, all you have to do is toss a m6 x 1.0mm bolt that is long enough in there and it taps them right out. Once again your best bet is to just start from scratch and rebuild the motor again. It is very easy to do (tear down is less than 2 hours!) and it'll guarantee nothing will cause a chain reaction of components to get damaged. Buying something new and just having it fail really sucks, especially when its 30 dollar motor components.

Back