Upper Motor Mounts

Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum

Help Support Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just kinda skimmed over all what was said, but if you need upper mounts just make some.. Motor mounts are my specialty.. lol

Hack up some 8 gauge sheet, and go nuts!
For the one thats offset just stick it in a vice, and bend it around till it looks right. Drill a few holes, and voila!!

Yeah, I hear ya. I could just bend the mounts till they fit, but I'm looking to fix the reason they don't fit. It's either bend the metal here, or bend the metal there. Might as well fix the part that's already wrong. Right now, until I pull the motor and am proven wrong on my theory... here's the plan. I'm going to strap it down on my car trailer, nothing but frame and engine... maybe suspension too. I'm going to ponder on that part. Basically going to turn the trailer into a makeshift frame machine. I will use nearby trees, the come along, and maybe the winch to pull her back into shape until the tabs fit correctly.

Hopefully the end result will be a bike that will be a bike that tracks straight and doesn't wear out parts faster because the frame is all tweaked.

There's a few other places on the frame that somebody laid down some popcorn welds that I need to fix as well as a number of holes I need to clean up the threads on or heli coil as well. It's not going to be a points winner restoration, but I want it to be spec.

The upper mounts on my 87 were busted to.. I don't really know if it was because the frame is tweaked?
I think it's simply because of the cheap material the mount is made out of...

But if you can visibly see that its got some twist to it, then you can strait it (I bet it won't be easy though. lol).
I noticed my frame has a little tweek to it, but I'm not gonna mess around with it. Cause I think I would just make it worse..

The upper mounts on my 87 were busted to.. I don't really know if it was because the frame is tweaked?
I think it's simply because of the cheap material the mount is made out of...

But if you can visibly see that its got some twist to it, then you can strait it (I bet it won't be easy though. lol).
I noticed my frame has a little tweek to it, but I'm not gonna mess around with it. Cause I think I would just make it worse..

True... it can be made worse, just have to use common sense with this stuff. Frame straightening takes 3 things, a good eye, a tape measure, and ingenuity. Look for tell tale signs of how something happened, and see if you can write the story in your head, the chain of events as everything moved. Also use a tape measure, and measure diagonally all over the place, comparing one direction to another. If the measurements are the same, it's square, if they're off by very much... it's been tweaked. Think of it like square vs diamond. Then, try to reverse the procedure... and that's where ingenuity comes in. Find a way to strap it down, hold it back, and pull it into shape. Hanging out around backyard body men, or shops that have older frame machines really put things in perspective. If you can whip a 1-ton truck back into place, you can do it with a old 4 wheeler.

some thing is wrong the motor looks as if its twisted inside the frame

Hmm, I will look into that... kinda see what you're talking about standing out here by it, but it's not really jiving every time I look down the chain. What are you seeing that I might not be, got any reference points?

Damn, that was a PRM summit bumper but the top has been hacked off.

Dammit man! I didn't know what it was, but I just looked it up. Yeah, why do people rip and tear on things they shouldn't be messing with. Maybe I can salvage it... just need to find some tubing! Thanks for the heads up though.

theone.png

Hmmmm... I dunno about the engine being tweeked? It looks to me like it was rolled real bad, and landed hard on the left front..
If you look real close at the very front where the bumper mounts, you can see the left side is pushed in quite a bit..

It's definitely in need of some help..

Yep, that's exactly what I was thinking, Mathius. If you all go back up to my pictures on the previous page, you'll see the front left tube is smashed up forward of the VIN stamp. I don't think the engine was tweaked in there twisted up, it's all an illusion, as I've said already, the chain is telling me it's in there square. But back to the smashed tube, it looks like it bounced on a rock or log, and rolled over to the left, pushing the entire top of the frame up and over.

I'm gonna strip her down and start pulling the baby back in to shape. Once that's done, there are a few cracks and poorly done welds I need to go over and fix. And it looks like there are a bunch of half ass factory welds. Might spend some time Giving it some added rigidity above what the factory spec is. Heck, it's gonna need it since it's already been rolled. But, it'll be stronger than ever.

Worse case scenerio, I get a new frame. Already got a lead on a roller locally with a new wiring harness... new in the box. Only downside is, it's the same price I paid for this thing... which was running (but poorly).

Back