Strange idling problem

Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum

Help Support Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

406elcamino

Reaction score
Just wondering what everyone has to say/think about this P.I.T.A

So i had to move the quad out of storage today and i havent started it up probably in 6 weeks or so anyways... i get on it turn the fuel to "on" turn the choke wide open and let it crank takes a little cause its cold out but fires up as usual and i let it gradually idle down to where i no longer need the choke.

So i put along with it like maybe 30ft or so and im idling kinda slow which i thought may have been from the cold and or not being run for so long. So anyways i go to park it and i ride up a slight incline and it starts farting and backfiring flames out the exhaust like its not getting any fuel.

So i try and start it up again and it wont start at all just cranks, i turn the choke on and it fires up and idles really high so i try and move the choke down slowly and it just dies and now it wont start at all WTF!?

i have about 5L or so of gas in it so i know its not low and i put it on reserve and still wont start so i take apart the petcock assembly just to see and its getting plenty of fuel so i put it back together and start it up and it starts fine , idles fine and i was doing donuts and **** works totally fine so i put it to "off" and let it idle till it dies

so i give it like 20mins go back to it turn the fuel to reserve and put the choke on and it takes a bit longer then usual to start up again but it does and its acting like a bitch again but eventually comes around and i can freeely rev it .

Sorry for the long post but im wondering if maybe the fuel gummed up or something? (it was totally clean when i drained it) or maybe the carbed sucked something in and was being a cunt?

I'd check the float bowl on the carb. Sometimes if fuel sits too long it'll dry out and leave a gummy residue (additives in fuel, ******* California Emissions). Course six weeks, I don't think it should have done that. Yamaha has some fuel additives you can put in the fuel to prevent it from breaking down, if you going to leave it sitting for a while. It works pretty good. Your service manual should have the info for what they recommend. That's just my two cents, but I'm sure the guys on here will have a better idea. Hope this helps, and you get that thing back up to snuff.

do you rejet for the winter? maybe go up a size, it probably will help it run a little better- not as much backfiring. you might as well see if it helps while you have your carb apart cleaning it...

ok well i think i may have had to little of fuel for it to run properly with it turned to "on" but... i set it to reserve and it did the same thing but im thinking maybe air in the carb causing it to act like that. I have it running right now and it sounds good not missing at all

Back