Starting problems with warrior. HELP

Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum

Help Support Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i have a 88 yamaha warrior and it will only spark like twice in 30 seconds and its blue spark. i tried a different coil and the worst of it is i just put a new stator in it and it still wont spark. any ideas
thanx Josh

why don't you guys try and ohm the known compents out first before throwing parts at it. Seems like an great way to spend money, and you might as well take it to the dealer.

I am having a starting issue as well. when qaud is cold it just turn over and over and over doesnt want to fire, but if u push start it and get it warmed up ride around a bit it will start right away untill u let it get cold again. i thought maybe i was losing compression but has to much power and to smooth when running pulled starter it seems fine, although there is a slight clunking when starting stops as soon as it cranks up. im not an expert of ever and intermediate on warriors as i just recently go it. any help or suggestions are greatly appreciated.
Thanks Justin

sounds like maybe the choke in the carburator might be plugged with dirt.
Or your battery could be weak and causing the bike to turn over slower, thus making the engine start hard. Once you get the bike warmed up it puts a charge on the battery and warms the cells up inside to help improve the batterys output. Also engine oil thins out the oil slightly and warms it causing the bike to turn over faster.
Cold are we talking about -0 temps?

sounds like maybe the choke in the carburator might be plugged with dirt.
Or your battery could be weak and causing the bike to turn over slower, thus making the engine start hard. Once you get the bike warmed up it puts a charge on the battery and warms the cells up inside to help improve the batterys output. Also engine oil thins out the oil slightly and warms it causing the bike to turn over faster.
Cold are we talking about -0 temps?

Rebuilding the carb tomorrow, so i will let u know about that, battery is good charged it up and havent had problems with it, and by cold im talking 55 60 down in florida. just not running tempature for the motor. Like i said carb kit is on the way and will clean it tomrrow, other than that im starting to think i may have an issue with my starting gear (flywheel). I really hope not though thanks for the input any other ideas greatly appreciated.

Justin

i Have this same exact problem, the guys who had the quad before put a stator on, but still wont crank. Sprayed carb cleaner in the spark plug hole, got fire and it wont even try to crank.

Its driving me nuts im about to pull the side of the case off and check starter gear see if that one bearing is going out or something? i dont know what else could be up? anyone?

Yes, same problem with my 2001, went thru and checked as much as I could by ohms and continuity, all wires were good, ohms were off on the pick up and coil! Would fire right up push starting, but nothing with the electric starter. Went ahead and ordered the whole Ricky Stator setup-coil, stator, pick up and even high rev CDI box along with the cool 45watt blue xenon lights for not much money and it runs like a champ now and I can even see better at night. Very happy now! Mark

yea ive dealt with that crap b4....luckily i had a spare parts warrior to swap parts off and see wtf was wrong but it seemed to be the stator and coil together...lol so i bought a new coil and swapped a stator and it was fine after that....id like to get a rickys stator sometime they seem to be popular

ive read the treads, but if im understanding this rifght your saying that it is possible to push start but not start with button.
my warrior starts great when pushed but when I hit the button I have no spark at all

i replaced the cdi the stator assy and the pick up coil and the ignition coil and pppppfffffffffftttttttt nutin when you crank it with the button it will only spark when you release it nice and blue i checked the nutral switch the start relay and nutral relay i am realy fed up with the thing i hope some one here has had this problem before and can help me out

85 warrior
87 lt250r
89 yz125
talon 150 cc
lt160

Would it happen to be an aftermarket cdi that you installed? I wouldn't think so since they don't make aftermarket "high rev" ones for the older models (although i can guarantee yours isn't an 85 because 87 was the first production year).

How about the battery? Did you get it load tested, or try jumping it from a stronger power source and see if you get any more spark?

The famous clunking while you try to start it is the starter clutch more than likely. Both my best friend and me had to replace ours already. The worst part is that it's right behind the damn stator and you need the yamaha flywheel puller (only $5 or so though). Well maybe not, the worst part is cleaning all of the gasket residue off that damn cover. :( Any small motors in general can be hard to start when cold, I would just expect it if the motor drops below 60 degrees. Mine used to get finicky in the mornings since it drops to the fifties or lower quite a bit here. If you really can't get the motor going when cold your pilot needs to be richer. If your running a hair lean it will be next to impossible to start when cold as mentioned.

i have 95 warrior and i all of a sudden am having the same problem. my spark plug fouled out and the rubber intake on the carb cracked. i replaced the plug and it started but after about 5 minutes it quit running. it just turns over and over now. could it be the stator or battery..help

oh yeah i replaced the intake also. somebody tell me wut tha dill is.

rmstator, cheap prices and a one year warranty. you have to show how you installed it so they can warranty it though. they say pics or video is fine.

i had spark only when i let off the starter button. i changed the cdi and it fired right up. of course mine has an '87 rotor with a '99 cdi and stator. my stator puts out 13.74 at idle, so stator is good. it has more than enough spark, good source and should be good p/u. when charging the battery on a smart charger, the charger started acting funny. if i pop start it, and it dies i can normally restart by the button. seems to be a warped cell in the battery.

Latest posts

Back