Q's about CDI's and Rev Boxes!

Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum

Help Support Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

raskal

Reaction score
Hey whats up everyone. Are CDI Boxes and REV BOXES the same thing.??? DO any of you have these on your Raptor 350's and do they help with power or anything??? I have a GYTR Pipe, Jet Kit and K&N without lid installed on my Bike. If i got one of these REV BOXES or CDI's would i have to rejet or would it mess up my BIke in anyway?? Are they easy to install and do you need some kind of software or something?? I'm new to riding and i dont know much about Quads so sorry for the Dumb Q's.. Are BIg Gun REV boxes any good. I'm lookin for something i can install by myself without any software! Whats a Good Brand to get and are they worth it??? ANy Info on these parts would be much appreciated. Thanks Everyone! ~Raskal

I never heard many good things about big gun rev boxes. But, i have a Dynatek CDI on my raptor, and i would highly recommend one of these. All you have to do to install it is, remove your seat, unhook your battery, take the stock CDI out and slip the new one in. Do not need to rejet. My Dynatek added great throttle response, also revs out better. And you do not need software for the dynatek cdi, unless you want to program it yourself, but they only have non-programmable ones at this time.

I never heard many good things about big gun rev boxes. But, i have a Dynatek CDI on my raptor, and i would highly recommend one of these. All you have to do to install it is, remove your seat, unhook your battery, take the stock CDI out and slip the new one in. Do not need to rejet. My Dynatek added great throttle response, also revs out better. And you do not need software for the dynatek cdi, unless you want to program it yourself, but they only have non-programmable ones at this time.
Thanks alot Bro! Where can i get one and how much are they?? And i know this is a stupid question, But what is great throttle response, I mean , what is throttle response actually?? Thanks! ~Raskal

www.dynaonline.com . you will see the price of them on their. throttle response is when you hit the throttle with your thumb, how long it takes the machine to react to the extra gas being poured threw the carberateur. on some quads, mostly utilitys, have very poor throttle response. you hit the throttle then 3 seconds later the machine reacts. but with the dynatek cdi, its instant.

but i dont think that this would be my next mod if i were you. go for tires and different gearing first. if you have stock tires, you will be needing to upgrade them shortly.

www.dynaonline.com . you will see the price of them on their. throttle response is when you hit the throttle with your thumb, how long it takes the machine to react to the extra gas being poured threw the carberateur. on some quads, mostly utilitys, have very poor throttle response. you hit the throttle then 3 seconds later the machine reacts. but with the dynatek cdi, its instant.

but i dont think that this would be my next mod if i were you. go for tires and different gearing first. if you have stock tires, you will be needing to upgrade them shortly.
Thanks alot bro! I do have a slow leak in my Back tire so i will be replacing both bacxk tires before i do anything. ANY suggestions on a good pair of Back tires?? Will i have to change the rims as well. WhaTS A Good brand for back tires?? I do alot of Trail riding over rocks and stuff too.! Thanks Bro!

Get a 6 ply tire. I seemed to have good luck with my Kenda Knarleys on the back, they are 6 ply. I like my RAZR's on the front also, they are 6 ply. I just bought some Holeshot MXR6's, but they are for the track only, because they are only 2 ply.

Just go with a 6 ply tire for rough trail riding, you wont go wrong.

6ply are the only way to go for trail riding in my own opinion. I have the holeshot HDs in the rear, and one day while riding my left rear tire went flat actually I think it went flat while on the trailer it was tight on the trailer. Anyway I rode all day long with hardly no air in that tire, I could tell it was almost flat while riding but when I got home I put air in and I was good to go again.

But now I take a portable 5gal tank with me just in case.

[quote:b10xxk7g]I never heard many good things about big gun rev boxes. But, i have a Dynatek CDI on my raptor, and i would highly recommend one of these. All you have to do to install it is, remove your seat, unhook your battery, take the stock CDI out and slip the new one in. Do not need to rejet. My Dynatek added great throttle response, also revs out better. And you do not need software for the dynatek cdi, unless you want to program it yourself, but they only have non-programmable ones at this time.
Thanks alot Bro! Where can i get one and how much are they?? And i know this is a stupid question, But what is great throttle response, I mean , what is throttle response actually?? Thanks! ~Raskal[/quote:b10xxk7g]

throttle responce is the timing betwene when you hit the throttle and when your jets fire ( can rev to see what im talking about )

Thanks everyone for your help! Are Holeshots HD's 6 ply???? Can is use my same rim or should i buy some new ones. I really dont have too much money at the moment so I want to try to use my Stock rims with the Hole shot HD's. Thanks Guys. This site is Awesome! ~Raskal

well your rear rims are 9 inches so if you get tires make sure the last number is 9. 20X11X9 HD's would be good.

[quote:ufi27fxc] Thanks alot Bro! Where can i get one and how much are they?? And i know this is a stupid question, But what is great throttle response, I mean , what is throttle response actually?? Thanks! ~Raskal

throttle responce is the timing betwene when you hit the throttle and when your jets fire ( can rev to see what im talking about )[/quote:ufi27fxc]

your jets do not actually fire, it's your piston that fires. your jets let the right amount of fuel into the engine.

BKT X-Driv tires are good tires. i think they are all 6-ply and less expensive than holeshots and razrs. ive got fronts and rears on my warrior and rears on my 300ex and they are great. havent had any problems with them. also, you can put aftermarket tires on stock rims. just make sure you get the right size to fit your rim. if you trail ride, i would just beat up your stock rims first and then get aftermarket rims later when you can afford them. ive still got my stock rims with my tires and they are fine. if you are not riding through a bunch of rocks, you should be fine with stockers for now. i ride through some rocky **** and ive dinged up my rims, but they are still going.

If you ride on plenty of sandy trails go for the kenda klaws or the Irazors, they will grip much better. Any of the closer spaced lug tires don't have the forward bite that those two have, although they still corner awesome at high speeds. The razor2's will never lose grip on you at high speeds, those things rock for cornering.

I have the Hd's -they work really good in sandy/gravely stuff,but they caked-up like crazy is the gooey mud.They are so frickin wide and square that they float across sandy sections of trail.Dry riverbeds are hella fun.The sidebiters act kinda like paddles.Plus they are 6-ply so they are very tough

[quote:h7ipo0sw]

throttle responce is the timing betwene when you hit the throttle and when your jets fire ( can rev to see what im talking about )

your jets do not actually fire, it's your piston that fires. your jets let the right amount of fuel into the engine.[/quote:h7ipo0sw]

If you want to get technical, it is actually you spark plug that fires.

What Warriorspeed meant by "when your jets fire' was when they actually dump the fuel into the engine.

He just had the wrong terminology

Thanks guys! I think i will be gettin the ITP Holeshot HD's for my back tires and keep the front tires stock for now. Do you know where's the cheapest place to get Hd's from. Thanks again!

Well im just gonna get back on the rev box... Isnt the rev box eliminate the rev limiter? thus if u over rev it have it blow up ur motor? thats what i always thouht... so i was gonna leave that for the last thing i do on my raptor...

Yes, you're correct, a rev box is supposed to eliminate the rev limiter (actually it keeps the rev limiter, just moves it up 1000-2000 rpm.) Just in the case of the yfm350 it doesn't have a rev limiter from the factory, so all a rev box will do is make a slight change in the timing curve to add a touch more power, not enough to notice. Because of the yfm350's design you really can't damage a stock or mostly stock motor by overrevving it, damage from revving the engine too high usually comes from going so fast that the valves aren't closing fast enough, and the piston hits the valve and everything self-destructs from there. Because of the speeds this engine revs, the amound of clearences, and all that other good stuff a mostly stock engine can't rev high enough to float the valves so bad that causes damage.

On the other hand, a highly modified motor could tear itself up if it was over-revved. One of the guys I ride with used to have a FST 502 kit in his warrior back before I met him, it was built up with everything you could think of except nitrous. One of his buddies was riding it and revved it too high, and the whole thing grenaded, cracked cases and everything else, the engine wasn't even rebuildable. Now he has a competely stock engine in it, except for the race cam which was the only thing salvageable from the blown motor.

damn that sucks. that "buddy" of his should be paying for a new motor. that would piss me off to have someone else blow my motor after all that.

Back