Problem with Starter Clutch

Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum

Help Support Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bigkahuna

Reaction score
I think I've got a problem with my starter clutch. My 1989 warrior makes a funny noise when you'r trying to start it. As you let off the start button, if it does'nt start, it gets a nasty back kick. When it does start, it sounds like the starter is spinning for a while. I just pulled the stator cover off and found that the idle gear has 2 broken teeth (AGAIN). The starter clutch seems to work ok but I have not had it off yet to inspect it. (It turns free one way but not the other way) The starter is also brand new. (not rebuilt) Anybody have any problems like this?

If your starter is installed i believe it will only turn one way..but I would take it off the machine and open the starter up..I had problems with mine last year "brand new" and opened her up and there were a bunch of split and broken pieces wich had jammed her up !!

I believe it was the brushes ......

If the starter spins like there's no load on it sometimes, it could be because of the starter clutch going out, or it could just be from the broken gears not making contact. It'll be hard to say until you get it apart, but something's defiintely not right if you're breaking teeth off gears.

No, its the starter clutch that only turns one way. It is actually a one way bearing (sprag) on the rotor or flywheel. The bearing works correctly but that doesn't mean that its not worn or making noise.

Back