Painting wheels?

Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum

Help Support Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tyler

Reaction score
I was thinking about painting my wheels black, but how would i get the paint to hold up well? And what would the prep work be like? O ya and please comment if you have dont this before. Thanks!

deffly not worth it, just save the money and buy them. they will chip within the first 3 rides. i painted mine and 3 rides is all it took. you might be able to get away with using 2 light coats of auto undercoat then spray em with 1-2 coats of flat black and then clear em.. either way they will chip. even with buying black wheels, they will scratch and you can see bare metal underneath. fperri302 has black wheels.. bare metal can be seen around the lip of the wheels

If you do a decent prep job and put a couple light coats of spray paint on they don't hold up too awful bad, you will need to do some touching up after every few rides if you want to keep them looking good though, the paint will chip off pretty easily around the lip of the rim regardless of what kind of paint you use. The stock black wheels on my raptor 700 are powder coated and even those are all bitched up around the edges because of rocks and **** hitting them.

I have done this with out blaster. It had the ugly ass yellow wheels so we just taped the tires off real good and sanded them, sprayed a coat or two of primer, bunch of light coats of black, and then a few clear coats. They actually turned out fairly well and they are chipping just a little but but not to bad. That bike does not get ridden very much but it still gets taken out most trips and when it is ridden its ridden at a moderate pace but nothing crazy. What color are your rims now? I dont really think polished would stick very well but if its already painted or powdercoated it might.

if you can find some rattle can self etching primer, the only problem with that is you can never go back to the bare metal. the self etching primer for lack of a better term has a acid like substance that will etch into the metal to help paint stick better. trust me i went to school for autobody and paint. it still will scratch but it should help it adhear better.

Here are some pics of my wheels and the current color and minor scrapes and damage.

Rearwheel-1.jpg

Frontwheel.jpg

i did mine with pactra candy blue , i taped off the lip , to give it a custom look also since the paint chips off the lip so ezly anyway i decided to leave it chrome , some really high grit sand paper and lots of water is the key to gettin it to stick (1600 grit) work well

100_2307.jpg

100_2308.jpg

100_2309.jpg

Some of my friends have gone to the trouble of sandblasting and powder coating parts of their offroad vehicles. They have been disappointed to have to touch up paint road rash & dings. Most people advise just painting as it is easier to touch up in the end. Anodized aluminum parts also scratch N ding the color off.

aluminum is a pretty soft metal so expect to have touch up and repaints to do.. i paint all my underbody stuff (truck car atv) with the cheapest wally world gloss black spray its only 96 cents a can and actually hold up pretty good.. touch up is easy.

With some sanding and good amount of coats it will look pretty nice for a while esp inside the rim where its protected...the outter lip is a diff story...not a whole lot your gonna be able to do other then touch it up every now and then.. I replaced my front wheels with factory black but only cause i smashed the **** outta one side hittin a hidden stump... i painted the rear rims (didnt even take them off bike) and they look fine..the fatty rear tire helps protect the rim lip in rear.. all an all its not a very lot of work and can make a big difference as far as Looks go

Back