New Warrior owner, its got something wrong

Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum

Help Support Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

paintslinga2010

Reaction score
Hey guys, looks liek youve got a pretty good forum here. I just bought an 02 warrior. It ran great for the hour ive rode it but ive noticed a couple things wrong.
It smokes. Mostly only when i get on the gas somewhat hard.
Second i took out the spark plug and it was black. I put a new one in, rode and its black.
Also my back brakes dont work.

Mainly i want to focus on the smoking problem. Any ideas whats causing it? Im thinkin piston ring or valve seals, but i know very little about atvs. What will i need to fix this problem and what will it cost me if i took it in?

heres some pics: Its got razrs in the rear and holeshots up front, and new lights.
P1010055.jpg

P1010054.jpg

Welcome to the site, that's a cool looking warrior you got.

I think you have the right idea about your smoking problem, it could either be the piston rings or valve seals. I don't think there's really a way to know which one it is without taking it apart first. I had the same problem myself. Got a wiseco piston kit with a small overbore put in, replaced the valve seals, and no more smokey. If you would take it to a shop, expect to pay around 5-600 for parts and labor.

I wouldn't worry about the black spark plug quite yet, it could just be from the oil burning. After you get it rebuilt, check the plug after a little riding and see what color it is then. If it's still black you may be running too rich.

wow are you serious 5-600? Is that with bore and everything? I just want it fixed, i dont want any extras.

The prices tend to add up.

piston kit 130
valve seals 20
bore/hone 50
gasket kit 30
oil filter 10
3 quarts oil 20
3-4 hours labor - 170-240 depending on labor rates
usually they'll replace the cam chain too if the stock one is still in, that's another 30

those are just rough estimates, but as you can see, it's not the cheapest thing in the world to do.

Depending on how bad it is, you might be able to just get new piston rings and hone the cylinder instad of boring and getting a piston kit, that will save you maybe $130

nice lookin quad, idk about 5-600 for repairs tho that seems a little high... unless he talkin canadian

nice lookin quad, idk about 5-600 for repairs tho that seems a little high... unless he talkin canadian

Why would I be giving canadian prices? Trust me, it costs more than you expect when you have the work done at a shop. I doubt you ever had to get major work done at a shop, or you would know yourself that the bill always turns out higher than expected because of all the little stuff adding up.

I would tear it down myself and check it out, if its valve seals there not too bad to put in yourself.

that being the case i suppose your left with the "high priced" other option.

Buy a clymer repair manuel for a Warrior, read the section over a few times that you plan to take apart, then just follow the instructions and get at it, gotta learn some how, and it'll save you about $400

You know, it could be smoking if it is jetted rich too. Is the plug black and sooty, or does it look wet too? Even if it is burning oil, a little wont really hurt it. I'd drive it until it got worse, just carry a spare plug or two.....(which you should always take anyway in my opinion) and a few basic tools. As for your rear brakes, do they not work at all or will they pump up? They may just need to be bled. As a side note, if the repair cost sounds high, I strongly reccomend you buy a Clymer manual and start learning to do some repairs. I work on my own things for two reasons; I can't afford to have it done, and I know what quality of work I get. If you can read and have some tools, you can fix a lot of things.....it's really not hard, it just takes time and experience. Good luck and keep us posted.

Latest posts

Back