need some help here

Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum

Help Support Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

maddmudder13

Reaction score
well i just joined this forum since i bought a 88 warior just last week :D but im expirencing problems with it. when i start it up the starter clunks untill it fires up, then when i shut it off it canks again. on another forum a guy said that i need a new starter clutch? i also just changed the oil and found a 1/4 inch pile of metal shavings on my oil filter. have you guys had this problem before?

well i just joined this forum since i bought a 88 warior just last week :D but im expirencing problems with it. when i start it up the starter clunks untill it fires up, then when i shut it off it canks again. on another forum a guy said that i need a new starter clutch? i also just changed the oil and found a 1/4 inch pile of metal shavings on my oil filter. have you guys had this problem before?

It sounds like a starter clutch to me as well. It will go CLUNK CLUNK CLUNK and then either turn the motor over like it should or it will just spin freely sometimes and not do anything. What happens is on the starter gear itself there is a smooth surface the "clutch" grabs onto. Now this surface over time gets dings, dents, and pretty much just gets the crap beat out of it. When the surface of the gear is no longer smooth and is all beveled and wavy the one way bearing has nothing to latch onto and u hear a CLUNK CLUNK CLUNK or just a free spinning sound.

This is not a cheap repair either - for just the OEM parts you are looking at about $200.00 and about a hour an a half worth of labor to put it in. You can easily do it yourself but you would need a flywheel puller; so that might not be a bad idea to buy one.

The starting problem is the one way bearing. I don't know about the metal shaving though.

so what exactly do i need to replace? could i get used parts off ebay, i would rather not spend alot on it sence i will prolly be selling it next summer

I wouldn't go with used on this one.

You might get parts in the same or worse condition than what you've got now.

my thoughts exactly. You're taking a risk whenever you buy used parts, especially an item that wears out commonly.

alrighty then what should i all buy, just the the one way starter clutch?

you need the gear and bearing since they are mating surfaces; dont forget the gasket and puller if your going to do it yourself!

your all wrong, it's the needle bearing in the starter, and don't waste your money casue it's a common problem on warriors, my warrior has been doing it for 8 years, and it's no big deal, thats where the shavings are coming from, if you hate the noise spend the 300 bucks to fix it, if not, let her go, if you use your quad lots it subsides. mine did.

your all wrong, it's the needle bearing in the starter, and don't waste your money casue it's a common problem on warriors, my warrior has been doing it for 8 years, and it's no big deal, thats where the shavings are coming from, if you hate the noise spend the 300 bucks to fix it, if not, let her go, if you use your quad lots it subsides. mine did.

Wrong... We replaced three of these starter clutches this past year alone, they do fail. I am replacing my starter clutch as we speak... The "hardened" surface of the gear is not to hard in many Yamahas...

The needle bearing in the starter is the problem? STFU. You're the one that's wrong, because about a year after mine started making that sound the starter clutch **** out completely. The needle bearing in my starter was fine. Maybe your bearing in your starter was making noise, but that doesn't mean that's the only thing that could make a noise, and everybody else is wrong.

Back