mud tire recommendations?

Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum

Help Support Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yamarider

Reaction score
After my trip at Paragon I now fully appreciate how bad my worn out shredders are in mud, so i'm looking for rear tires that will be great in the mud, but still lightweight and sporty. Do any of you guys have mud tires that have really been amazing? Thanks guys.

rember what YOU tolf me?HMM????????sur tracks??rember.my mudlites are greatthey hook up on anything ,but i ride alot of pavment and they wear pretty fast,but thats just becuse i ride on the road.if you care about handling i would go witrh irazr or a razr 2,or that new GNCC holeshot.they say thats the best woods racing tire itp has ever made

Kenda bear claws would be great in the mud, there kinda heavy though since they're six ply. I have GBC mudsharks, size is 21x12x9, there 4 ply so they're not that heavy and work great in mud. I have gotten through mud holes 4x4 utility quads got stuck in. They also have decent traction in dry stuff.

the only rear tires that i've used on my warrior are the holeshot xc's. i am not impressed with them in the mud at all. i try to avoid the mud whenever possible, but they seem to cake up and just spin. i have hd's on the front and they work great as far as fronts are concerned. one thing that i've noticed is that the stock rear tires on the 400ex's work much better than the xc's in the mud. when i've ridden with these two guys with ex's, they can go through the mud and their rpms never seem to change. when i hit the same mud spots, my rpms go way up. i think that i am going to try the new holeshot gncc's or the irazor's. i do want something that is pretty good in the mud, but not strictly a mud type tire.

My brother has spider tracs and they don't impress me, In my opinion bear claws or mud sharks are much better than spider tracs.

I have Kenda bearclaws. I love them!!! They blow through most anything as long as I dont bottom out in utility trenches. They are 22-12-9. What is great about these tires is the center lug. Many mud tires go from side to side only. I have better clearance with these over every sporty i have ridden with.

They replaced a set of holeshots--worthless in the mud (how fast can you clog them up). I would regularly have 3/4" of mud wrapped around the outside.

I have Holeshot XCT's on the warrior and I have gone through some major mud and have not had a problem I like them alot for the trails. I have Dirt devels on my Bayou and there awsome in the trails and mud... Dad HAs WollyBooger's on his RAncher and there good too. those are the only tires I have personal experence with in the trails and there great, Also the trail I ride are very muddy . Hope that helped you in some way ..

~Eddie

pure sports Realtors, sporty square design with a paddle like center, always thought they would makea great mud/sprot tire.

well if i recall rite u shouldnt take sport quads in the mud..... all the open bearings and stuff.... its hell on the quad itself and u ll have to pay alot to fix it

i have bearclaws on my 300 honda and i love them to death, they are pretty heavy but on a warrior they would be fine. another great tire is a maxxis all trak. i have them on my warrior and it seems like i could go anywhere if i put my mind to it

well if i recall rite u shouldnt take sport quads in the mud..... all the open bearings and stuff.... its hell on the quad itself and u ll have to pay alot to fix it

Then why do they call them "All Terrain Vehicles"? ::)

I wouldn't be riding if I couldn't play in the mud. Just take them bearings apart occasionally clean and pack them with a good water resistant grease. Better to do excessive PM than wait until something goes wrong.

Even more fun than mud is going into a river and doing water wheelies --yeehaa

dont even say you have never taken a sport quad in the mud

If that is the case I should never ride in my area again. Not to mention my warrior is a blast in the mud. I only wish I had a video or some pics of the last mud hole I had to cross. Wide open 2nd gear getting sideways and covered in mud, nothing was clean after that hole. But it was the only way to get to the other side ;) ;) ;)

and sand isn't? I'm not sure where you ride, but if your not around mud, then there is probably lot of sand there so regardless of where you ride, you will end up having to fix what you ride anyway. so why not have fun, and do what you like on it?
~Bill

Even worse, paragon has lots of water mud, sand, and sandy mud. I still don't worry about it. If something wears out i'll just replace it, it's sure as hell not keeping me from having fun.

Went better than any of my trips so far. The trails are marked ok, and it's definitely a safer place to ride than tower city. (tower city has cliffs and nearly bottomless caverns to fall into, you can throw a rock into some of these pits and never hear it hit the bottom, and there is a trail that goes RIGHT along the edge of one which is nuts). I didn't even break anything on the quad! Well, a few of those stupid ass flags, but that's it. I gotta clean the sand out of my clutch cable and many other places, and my shitty tusk tie rod end has a lot of free play, but this is the first trip that didn't require at least $300 in repairs. I'm definitely at least getting a clamp on k&n with an outerwears before I go next time, because from going through the mud pits frequently my uni got pretty wet which probably isn't good. I almost had a bad wipeout on one of the hillclimbs I tried, because I got caught in a jeep rut and ended up pretty damn out of control when I hit the lip at the top. There's definitely parts better suited for utility quads, and some places that allow jeeps only. A tow strap would have been really helpful, but they don't allow tow straps with metal hooks so I couldn't use mine (what kind of tow strap DOESN'T have metal hooks?). Warriors really suck once they get stuck! The feel like a hell of a lot more than 400 lbs when they're sitting on the frame in mud ruts.

I have a few pictures to put up when I get free time, and also I have about 20 minutes of video to pick through and i'll post some of that eventually.

If anyone is interested, i'm planning a trip with a few other guys, probably the first week of august. Most likely we'll ride a day at paragon, camp there, and then drive down to rausch creek (about 45 minutes) for the 2nd day.

One more thing about paragon - don't go unless you have at least a .250" swingarm skid, and you should have an extra tie rod and ends too. Some of the trails have a lot of rock crawling, which is fun and challenging, but can be hard on the quad when you make mistakes.

Back