Michigan newbie with my latest pride and joy

Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum

Help Support Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gasman

Reaction score
Hi, I'm Bob. I was directed here by someone on ATVriders.com after posting my latest acquisition there. So now I'll post it here. I live in northeastern lower Michigan, and I race the District 14 Harescrambles series. This will be my new XC race ride, as well as my trail ride.

It's a '96. Most all the aftermarkets you see on it were done three years ago and have very few hours on them. It has sat in a carpeted front room in the front window of a small engine repair place for the last two years, on consignment since the owner bought a YFZ450.

The owner was a machinist at the aircraft repair facility in Oscoda (Michigan), and he custom fabbed several pieces on it. He was also a neat freak, which is pretty obvious when you see it. In these pics it's sitting at 48" in front and 50" in back, and that's with the spacers for the adjustable axle on the outside of the hubs. The rear wheels are 3:6 offset. The front has +2 arms but also has 3:2 reverse offset wheels, meaning the 3" is to the outside. After I took these pics I flipped the rear wheels and put the 1" axle spacers on the inside of the hubs, bringing it to 46". It still has 1/4" spacers I could move if I want another 1/2". I still had a set of flush-mount valve stems laying around, so I put those in the front wheels and flipped them to put the 3" to the inside, which would be normal for stock wheels. Now the front sits at 46" too. Should be perfect. I also took off most all of these hideous stickers too, for cleaner look. The shocks are set up for 175lbs. MX, and they ride awesome with my 185lbs. on it. Now to the lengthy list of goodies.

-Four Stroke Tech 446 big bore kit
-Full Hinson clutch
-FMF Power Bomb head pipe
-White Bros. E-Series muffler/spark arrestor
-Bigger Mikuni carb
-Lonestar +2 chrome A-arms
-Durablue adjustable axle (+2,+4 I think)
-aluminum dual-rate Works remote resi front shocks
-Rear shock reworked by MCR-- revalve, spring, braided resi line
-Lonestar +2 chrome anti-vibe steering stem
-Tag T-2 fatbars
-Douglas .190 wheels
-Holeshot XC's, 22" front, 20" rear
-Braided stainless brake lines F&R
-Wave rear rotor
-AC Mudscreen front bumper
-AC pro peg nerfs with custom-fabbed integrated frame mounts
-Custom-fabbed rear carrier with tapered bearings in a 90w oil-bath
-Front-mounted FST oil cooler with custom-fabbed stainless hard lines and AN fittings
-Custom-fabbed adjustable upper shock mounts in front
-Frame and swingarm powder-coated, after the different frame mods were done.

100_0329.jpg

100_0330.jpg

100_0331.jpg

100_0332.jpg

Oil cooler behind the screen plate in the front bumper
100_0341.jpg

Custom stainless oil lines. Look closely at the adjustable upper shock mounts. Billet tabs for the shocks mated to multi-holed frame brackets for different ride heights.
100_0336.jpg

Another view of the shock mounts.
100_0337.jpg

Pro peg mounts. He welded custom mount tubes to the frame both in front and where the footpeg would be. Just like my Arens 250R frame had.
100_0335.jpg

Hinson brake pedal, wave rotor, polished dogbone.
100_0334.jpg

He tore up the stock steel carrier due to a bad bearing, so he copied and hand-built one out of aluminum. This has tapered bearings with seals riding in a 90w gear lube oil bath, instead of grease. He also made the parking brake blockoff plate.
100_0333.jpg

He also machined the countershaft sprocket guard. The AMPlink doesn't have the wheels in it currently. He blew a bearing in one. Not sure if I'll replace them or not. I think he left it on for additional chain protection.
100_0338.jpg

100_0339.jpg

The cockpit. I'll need to find some uncut gray front fenders, but they'll be tough to find in the shape needed to match the rest of the bike. It also has a twist throttle. I'm iffy on that, but I'll give it a shot for a while.
100_0340.jpg

I scored this thing for $2300!

If I can't do well on this, I need to find a new hobby.

I sold a 250R to get it, if that tells you anything. ;)

The low-end and midrange of that stroker motor is awesome. Can't wait to get it on the track. The next race is this weekend but I don't think I'll make it. The rear shock is weeping oil at the shaft seal, and I can tell it's already low on oil. MCR is here in Michigan too, but I don't think I can get it to them and get it turned around by Friday. Gonna ship it out tomorrow and try.

You have differently scored a Great deal....Not to mention a competitive looking ride.
Post up some current views and possibly some action pic's when you turn that beast out on the track.

Only thing I don't like is where the oil cooler is. Otherwise that thing is gorgeous

Back