Lifter Nut Fell Off

Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum

Help Support Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bigkahuna

Reaction score
All of a sudden, my 1989 warrior strarted ticking real bad so I listened real close and found the noise was coming from the top end. I pulled the fenders to check the valve adjustment and I found that the intake valve adjuster lock down nut had vibrated off! Sh*t! I looked around inside the head as best I could but can't really see the nut. I don't think that it can fall down to the bottom end or anywhere else. Anybody ever have this problem or find the nut without removing the head? Can it hurt anything to just put a new nut on and leave the other nut in there? Thanks

I don't think it would be a good idea to leave it in there if in fact it is inside the engine. With all the rough riding that nut isn't going to stay wedged longer then 2 seconds. I would have it inspected many times by different people. Rather be safe then sorry here.

Let me speak from experience, whatever you do, do not leave the nut in there. I left the nut in there when i lost one and got a new one, and guess wat 2 weeks later i locked the whole top-end, cracked cam sprocket, sheared the cam pin, and broke pieces off on the inside of my head. GEt that nut out, one suggestion would be to get a good extendable magnet. Also i use a drop of high strength locktight on my valves now, i havent had another come loose yet.

DO NOT RIDE IT WITHOUT GETTING THE NUT OUT.

The nuts are made of a way harder material than most of the head.

Just follow the torque specs and put that extra turn on it and you'll never need loctite. I think it says 18Nm in the clymer manual. Whatever you do don't leave that nut in there!!!

I had this happen as well on my intake valve. Took my cam out looking for it and still couldn't find it. Finally found it all the way in front of the valve spring for the exhaust valve. I make sure I use my torque wrench when I torque those nuts down now. I'd reccomend getting it out. I used one of those extendable magnets.

Back