handling question

Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum

Help Support Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There are honestly spots where we ride that I can't go through another spot and I know that I'm going to get stuck because I have lower ground clearance and smaller tires then the 4x4 guys I ride with. Yes the 20's look cool and handle awesome on most of the trails... when it comes to a rutted up mud hole and **** that's where I would like a 22" razor.

There ain't (which is a word now I think) a gd thing wrong with 22's. I think you would be gd surprised at how well they handle. They offered me a **** load more clearance. All it takes is a sprocket change if you don't like the lower end you lose. They handle as well as the smaller tires I've had. I've tried three different sets in a year and a half. These are by far the best although a little heavier. Unfortunately I ride with other ute's...a Suzuki Vinson, Foreman, Rancher, and a grizzly. They all love to ride mine, but I don't let them for long. Utility's suck. I can tell you with extreme confidence that it takes one helluva hole to get me stuck before them. Ex. we rode in a quarry Thurs. night. I ran across an unseen wet sandhole (probably 10 yards although I jammed the throttle when I felt myself sinking) with no problem. The foreman tried to follow and sank to his gas tank. It took two others to pull him out. I had to turn around and go back across it because they couldn't make it. I outhandle them, outrun them, and when I do happen to get stuck, I can pick mine up and move the damn thing. They all claim I have more clearance, we have yet to measure. Now if I could just get the hesitation bug outta my bike I'd be happy. If you are in NC, you can do yourself a big favor and test drive some 22" kenda klaws on a warrior. Hell just bring your atv too and we'll take you for a ride.

That's the thing though, you think they handle great cause you're comparing to the way utility quads handle. Even with the 22s you're going to handle better than them. Compare against a modern sport quad with 20s and there will be no comparison. Not nockin' ya, I just think in a way you're comparing apples to oranges.

Yak, exactly, they handle better than ute's. That was my point. And as far as a "modern sport quad"....he doesn't have one, he has a warrior. BTW, I have been test riding a buddy's z400 lately that he wants to sell me. I actually just posted this in another thread in classifieds. I liked it, but it handles wayyy too light in the front end for the tight terrain we ride on (for my personal preference). I didn't like it and decided to keep the warrior. That's just me though, other people love that quad. I'm not trying to steal this thread, just telling this guy that if he wants to try the 22 kenda's then it most likely will not be a mistake. He obviously wants more clearance and wants to go through where some of the 4x4's go, so to me it's not rocket science. He will have a much more versatile quad.

Yeah, but when he started this thread, if you read back, he was looking for great handling, not so-so handling and a little extra ground clearance.

It looks like the super swampers still have decent tread on them. Why not keep those, and get a set of 20's on some new wheels, so you can swap them out when you'll need the extra clearance? That's what i'm going to do. I have the swamplites on the stock wheels, and in the next few weeks i'll be ordering a set of 20's, probably kenda sport radials, on a set of new wheels. Then for my normal riding i'll keep on the 20's, and then throw on the big beefy mud tires when I head up to paragon and need the deep lugs and ground clearance.

Well yamarider thats probably what I will do. I'm gona put the warrior up for sale for another week and if it doesnt sell then I'll keep it, and get me some new wheels and tires.

Sorry guys, I didnt realize 2 inches of tire could dreate such a stir, I guess i just like 20s because i have them and its human nature to want everyone to do what you do. lol my bad.

Paintslinga, I didn't mean to create a stir either, I had a little bit of a buzz, so I was being a little hardheaded. I do love my 22's though. And like I said, with the right gearing, you aren't losing a thing. I also wouldn't call my handling "so-so" compared to the smaller tire as was suggested. I guess one would have to ride it to really see if there is a dramatic difference for themselves.

My cousin had a banshee with 20" Shredders on it, 4 ply. I had 6 ply 22" shredders on my warrior. I thought shredders were the crappiest tires in the world because they cornered horrible, wouldn't slide, and never seemed to hook up when I needed them to. I threw on the 20's from his banshee once, and the difference was incredible. Shredders still arent' the greatest tires, but that extra 2 inches made a night and day difference.

Back