Clutch Question

Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum

Help Support Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

r350ridin

Reaction score
Alright i am guessing that i need new clutch plates, when i get on it it just revs up and then finnaly gets up to speed slow, cant go up hills very well b/c it just revs and bogs. Clutch plates or what?

That's definitely the clutch slipping. How many hours are on your bike? Seems pretty early for a clutch to be going out.

Do you know if there is any slack in the clutch cable? The lever should be a little bit loose so there's absolutely no tension on the cable when it's released.

yea the cable is fine, its got a pretty good bit of hours, i ride almost every day but i have never ridden a cluthc b4 and i had 25's on it at one time and that didnt help either, how much do the plates cost and what all ones do i need to buy?

You're going to get different opinions here, but when I replaced my stock clutch, I got an EBC kit with heavy springs for like $65 and so far it's been perfect. If you get a clutch kit, then all you have to buy seperately is the clutch cover gasket. If you buy your stuff from rockymountainatv, don't cheap out and buy the tusk brand products, that's just setting yourself up for failure.

One other question, what kind of oil do you run? If you weren't running oil specific for wet clutches, that could be a big contributor to the clutch getting worn out so quick.

it could be the oil b/c i am just running higher end car oil. Can you send me a link to what all i need please? Also was it hard to install?

it could be the oil b/c i am just running higher end car oil. Can you send me a link to what all i need please? Also was it hard to install?

That was a bad idea...

Run a motorcycle oil no matter what, clutches will fail in no time with car oils.

Just go to rockymountainatv.com, put in your make, model, year as usual, then when it gives you the list of categories pick clutch. I suggest ordering the EBC clutch kit and Cometic clutch cover gasket. They should both be in the same category.

Drain that automotive oil out before you put the new clutch in, then soak the new clutch plates with the proper oil before installation, and refill with the proper oil.

That automotive oil probably is the reason the clutch failed. And the more of a high-end auto oil it is, the more it's going to make the clutch slip because it's designed to reduce friction on moving parts at all costs.

I just looked, and for some reason the only cover gasket they have is the shitty tusk thing. Don't order that junk, just go to the local dealer or another site and get a good gasket from a reputable company.

*edit

I think it's just a listing error, because they have the cometic gasket for the warrior, and just not listed for the raptor 350. There is no difference at all, so just order the gasket for a newer warrior and you'll be fine.

alright thanks alot greg, how long did it take you to install it?

I didn't get it done all at once, because I had to stop several times to search for tools that I didn't own. You'll need a big socket to take the clutch boss nut off (I think you need a 32 mm, but i'm not sure. I can find out for you tomorrow exactly what size it is. If you have, or have access to an impact wrench, that will make it easier for you to get that nut off. If not, you can get it off with a ratchet and breaker bar, it just takes an extra set of hands and some clever use of 2 screwdrivers and another bar of some kind, to hold it from spinning. Scraping off the old gasket from the cover will also be a little time consuming because they seem to be glued on there pretty good. Figure on spending 1 or 2 nights on it to get everything done right.

I also forgot to add originally, you should also have a torque wrench to put everything back together, and some sealant to use in addition to the gasket. I used blue RTV gasket maker/sealant from the auto parts store and it worked perfect.

alright thanks alot for the help man, im going to buy everything as soon as i get paid. I might buy a service manual also.

just got all the part, yall think itll take me over 4 hours?

Back