6 speed = top speed too slow

Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum

Help Support Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i'll look at my manual tonight.....and post a pic of it on here tomorrow...i never pay any attention to the gears i just ride and feel the bike out...if i need to down shift i down shift and thats the same for shifting up....just never count them...but i'll deff. look tonight!!!!!

It has 6 forward speeds and a reverse gear... so actually its is a seven speed but the reverse gear is not counted..

This is like saying a 5 speed car is actually only a 4 speed because it has a reverse......

Maybe i missed something but i was simply stunned when 2 people agreed that the warrior only has 5 forward gears. Are you guys on crack?

pray1.gif
pray1.gif
pray1.gif
pray1.gif

6 foward speeds (neutral is not a counted) and 1 reverse gear.

I'm only asking for is wich is better 14 teeth or 15 teeth xD

Just my 2 cents:
I went from the stock 13 to the 14, with only an exhaust and air filter and jetting. This should be the stock gearing in my opinion! wow!. Still good bottom end, and more top end. (i'm running 20x10x9 rears).
Now that i have done some "upgrades" to my motor, i'm going to try the 15 in the spring. for fast trail and pit riding. But for the track, i think i'll stick with the 14.

lol warriorcliff a stock warrior has 22 in tires with 13/40 gearing is equal to running 20's with a 14 so saying a warrior should have 14/40 gearing stock is'nt right

Just my 2 cents:
I went from the stock 13 to the 14, with only an exhaust and air filter and jetting. This should be the stock gearing in my opinion! wow!. Still good bottom end, and more top end. (i'm running 20x10x9 rears).
Now that i have done some "upgrades" to my motor, i'm going to try the 15 in the spring. for fast trail and pit riding. But for the track, i think i'll stick with the 14.

With 20" rears, that 14t puts you back to exactly the same as the stock gearing with the stock 22's.

And what's wrong with running 22's? The stock ones suck, but I don't know how you guys ride everywhere with those little 20's on there. With my 22's my skid plates still go through hell and i'm dragging the thing off rocks and out of ruts all the time. I've even thought about getting an extra set of 25's for mud and snow to get the extra ground clearance.

Lots of speed and bouncing over/thru/around things. Oh yeah, lots of replacement skid plates ;D

ok there really is six forward gears and 1 reverse gear....finally took the time to count out the gears when i went riding yesterday....just never payed any attention to it before never needed to...

Hey guys with 20 and a 14T doesn't exactly get you back to the stock gearing. To get very close you would need to change the rear to a 39T.

"QUOTE"I figured out the ratios. A stock Warrior has 13/40 with 22" tall tires with an overall gear ratio of 7.16, Now when adding 20s the gearing goes up numerically lower to 6.51. Now jumping one tooth on the sproket to 14 brings the gearing to 7.01, still a bit lower then stock, so going down on the rear to 39 gives a ratio of 7.19, almost perfect. Here's somthing to think about also, going down a tooth on the front to 12 brings the gearing to 6.60 with 22 tires and 40 tooth rear. So as you can see just dropping down to 20s will be almost like adding a 12 tooth sprocket."

[quote:2ezlgnzy]Just my 2 cents:

With 20" rears, that 14t puts you back to exactly the same as the stock gearing with the stock 22's.

And what's wrong with running 22's? The stock ones suck, but I don't know how you guys ride everywhere with those little 20's on there. With my 22's my skid plates still go through hell and i'm dragging the thing off rocks and out of ruts all the time. I've even thought about getting an extra set of 25's for mud and snow to get the extra ground clearance.[/quote:2ezlgnzy]
Try out some 18 inch tires ;) I'll never go 20 again haha, Only for trials, but I run 18 in those too haha.

15 tooth is too much for a stock or almost stock rappy, you would'nt be able to reach the maximum speed that the 15 tooth is capable of, heck dave has a 446 big bore and he's only running a 15 tooth if i remember right.
I actually got a 15T for fast trails, and a 16T for open riding. I also went down on the rear to a 38T. My overall ratio with the 15/38 and 20 tire is 7.90. When going with the 16/38 ratio, the gearing is 8.43. Remember stock is 7.16.

Back