Z400 carb guide

Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum

Help Support Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks for letting me know, I've edited my first post to make it more clear. It's 1 size down from what you were using with the stock warrior carb.

Very Nice Cow. COuld you email me the pictures. I guess I am a Kinesthetic learner :eek:

Very nice mod :)

Chris

Sorry but I lost the pictures when my hosting site went down. I can't find them anywhere on my computers or cameras. :(

I can take new pictures this weekend though.

EDIT: In case anybody was following the thread, I ended up buying another carb off ebay and that fixed it. Turns out the old one had a vacuum leak and the slide wouldn't move up enough. Everything is good now, but I still haven't got the jetting right because my intake valve clearance was way off and then the adjuster locknut kept coming off after I adjusted it.

i'll be dumping a DRZ400 carb onto my gfs warrior soon. Same carb. I had a DRZ400SM and I got really good at dialing in that motor/carb.

dave walked me through this mod with my warrior and it made a world of difference in how it ran. the only thing i did differently was i went ahead and bought the kfx throttle cable and box, just made it that much easier but it did cost a little more. i ended up jetting the kfx carb up a little more than it was already but i dont know exactly what main i put in it as of now, but its still not perfect. i am running an open air filter too, i just got rid of the box all together, doesnt seem to cause any problems as long as i dont get it wet.

So looks like this will be my next mod. Just scored a brand new Z400 carb with the throttle and throttle cable on ebay for $50 ;D Hopefully the raptor carb boot getrs here soon along with the parts for the raptor clutch mod. Also, I'm going to try to use the Z400 boot from carb to air box instead of trying to heat and stretch the stock one.

Could you do me a favor and measure the size of the inlet and outlet on that z400 carb, in mm? The carb on my dual sport is giving me trouble, and I'd like to stay with a CV carb if possible, i'm thinking that if it's close to the same size the z400 carb might be a good choice. Thanks.

Alright finally got mine running after waiting some time for a few parts. I hate to say that I am not yet impressed much by it. I'm sure its just the jetting is off at the moment because I have a 145 main and 60 pilot/starter jet at the moment. I have to mess around with the pilot screw some more when I have daylight. Also I'm going to have to check the gasket again for the float bowl because it looks like I have a leak around the seam... Anyway what is everyone running for jetting?

Got mine back together and running today, just need to fine tune it. Currently running a 25 pilot, 155 main and 70 starter, fuel screw about 4 turns out. I think I'm still a bit lean on the pilot though. With the choke on it idles nice, once you take the choke off it pops through the intake. Also pops alot while decelerating. Seems okay up top but I haven't really had a chance to open it up.

Alright finally have the carb jetting all dialed in and now I must say I am really pleased with it. Would recommend it to everyone with a warrior, just need to have time and patience.

Anyone try using the raptor 350 throttle cable with the z400 carb? Figured it would save you from buying the thumb lever.

I used a 2 5/16" hitch ball for stretching the intake boot. Worked perfectly. Have to use a heat gun and just keep sliding it on the ball.

Rockthunder

What is the advantage of the z400 carb over the stock warrior carb with a jet kit?

ericsloan said:
deuce what was your final jets

This summer i was running a 152.5. This may have been a little on the lean side, but she ran good. Now I just swapped in a 155 because it was running way too lean with this cold weather. But I also switched carb bodies because my original liked to leak fuel out the drain area, and not sure if this one has slightly different characteristics (always run a risk with buying used carbs on ebay). The jetting is not spot on, but it runs alright. I will be messing with it more come this spring when temperatures get back to normal.

Tyler said:
What is the advantage of the z400 carb over the stock warrior carb with a jet kit?
First off, the z400 carb is not 1980's technology. With that said, a newer carb design which I believe flows better. Better airflow along with tuning will result in more power (although most of it being seat of the pants). It also does not seem to have any throttle lag when properly tuned. With that being said I do also know that stock warrior carbs can be jetted and worked with to get to run well.

So your saying that the carb off a 1987 warrior and a 2004 warrior are not the same? Or the technology is different? I'm not quiet sure on what your saying?

Back