Z400 carb guide

Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum

Help Support Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
******* hell, that's the 2nd time the images went down. Why am I so unlucky with image hosts these days? :(

******* hell, that's the 2nd time the images went down. Why am I so unlucky with image hosts these days? :(

Hahah i know man! Crazy!
I just picked up the boot today so hopefully i can get it installed tomorrow. Friggin dealer ordered the boot and the clamp for it, i call them today, they tell me they are no longer selling the clamp but the boot came in!! Went to 4 different auto stores and found nothing! So i get home and go look at the carb.. The kid left the old boot on the and it had 2 CLAMPS!!! I was so damn happy!!!

On a side note, did you ever get yours running right?

[quote:l2ztsjrn]******* hell, that's the 2nd time the images went down. Why am I so unlucky with image hosts these days? :(

Hahah i know man! Crazy!
I just picked up the boot today so hopefully i can get it installed tomorrow. Friggin dealer ordered the boot and the clamp for it, i call them today, they tell me they are no longer selling the clamp but the boot came in!! Went to 4 different auto stores and found nothing! So i get home and go look at the carb.. The kid left the old boot on the and it had 2 CLAMPS!!! I was so damn happy!!!

On a side note, did you ever get yours running right?[/quote:l2ztsjrn]

Yea I ordered the boot and clamp and only the boot came in, oh well. I still haven't had time to try and fix it, but I think I know the problem. I accidentally plugged up the vent tube, so maybe that trapped extra air inside the float bowl and gas couldn't fill it completely. I took off the vent hose and I'm going to try it later today.

[quote:xwl28esb]

Hahah i know man! Crazy!

On a side note, did you ever get yours running right?

Yea I ordered the boot and clamp and only the boot came in, oh well. I still haven't had time to try and fix it, but I think I know the problem. I accidentally plugged up the vent tube, so maybe that trapped extra air inside the float bowl and gas couldn't fill it completely. I took off the vent hose and I'm going to try it later today.[/quote:xwl28esb]

Let me know how it goes cuz im gonna drop the z carb in tomorrow. I am pretty sure i will need to rejet. The kid said that he has a 180 main in it right now..... Im going to put it in and go from there..

180 is way too much, a good starting point is 1 size down from what you're using with the stock carb.

Now about my carb, which seemed to get even worse. I can't get it past idle speeds without the choke, with the choke I can rev it much more. Took off the vent hose, which did nothing. It was working perfectly before I rejetted it the 2nd time though, which is weird. I just took it off again so I'll see if anything is out of spec. I'm thinking the float valve is stuck or something.

EDIT: Since I'm on dialup I an't download the service manual. Could somebody go here http://manuals.dqt.be/, go to the Z00 section, download the fuel system manual and post an image of the specs page(s)?

180 is way too much, a good starting point is 1 size down from what you're using with the stock carb.

Now about my carb, which seemed to get even worse. I can't get it past idle speeds without the choke, with the choke I can rev it much more. Took off the vent hose, which did nothing. It was working perfectly before I rejetted it the 2nd time though, which is weird. I just took it off again so I'll see if anything is out of spec. I'm thinking the float valve is stuck or something.

EDIT: Since I'm on dialup I an't download the service manual. Could somebody go here http://manuals.dqt.be/, go to the Z00 section, download the fuel system manual and post an image of the specs page(s)?

Lets see if this worked
z400fuelspec.jpg

This is a pretty dumb question but hey, im a newb... Is the pilot screw the only screw that needs adjusting (turned out?)

Thanks, but I managed to download it. Well you'll probably need to adjust the idle screw, and aprt from those I don't think there are any other adjusting screws anyway.

EDIT: Just check the float height, and wow was it ever out of whack. It's supposed to be near 0.5 inches, but it was less than 0.3. Hopefully that does it, I'm tired of screwing around with the carb.

Oh yah, i knew about the idle screw too but thanks!!
Man, i hope that fixes it for you. I wanna ride this damn thing!! I am putting it in this afternoon. Ok, with my mods, what jets would you suggest i use?

All i have is a K&N, outerwears and holes drilled in the airbox.

I have no idea, I still haven't got the jetting perfect with this carb anyway because of the problem. Just start with 1 size lower and go from there.

EDIT: Just to be sure, can you check your float height and if the little tab that pushes the float valve is bent? I'm not sure what the previous owner did to this carb, but I think he might've screwed with the float height.

I have no idea, I still haven't got the jetting perfect with this carb anyway because of the problem. Just start with 1 size lower and go from there.

EDIT: Just to be sure, can you check your float height and if the little tab that pushes the float valve is bent? I'm not sure what the previous owner did to this carb, but I think he might've screwed with the float height.

Ok, i been out in the gee rage (garage) for about 2 hours.. I cannot for the life of me get the airbox boot onto the carb. Used a heat gun to get that bastard REALLY hot and put a small funnel and slowly worked it up further and further but still nothing! Even tried a coors light (the cans are skinnier then reg cans, plus, i dont drink that ****, im a miller light man!) and nothing. I am contemplating going back in the garage, drinking ALL the beer in the fridge, and sleeping out there because this is so damn frustrating!!

You gotta leave it stretched for some time, heat it up,stick it on the can and leave it there, making sure it doesn't slip off. Then heat and cool it a few times before moving to something bigger. It took me a day, including waiting to get it right, then I slipped it onto the carb and let it sit for a few days while I got the rest of the parts.

Cool, i found a glass that looks like it will work perfect. I just heated it up (the boot not the glass) really good and put that in and im letting it cool. I wanna ride this thing so damn bad!!!

20warrior00 said:
i need help on mine i got it of ebay and it looks defferent than yours it dont have that wire thingy?

That's even better. That means that you have an older model without the TPS, that's OK because the TPS is completely useless for what we're doing.

IMG00006.jpg

OK Guys,

i have my new/used z400 carb
the jets I have in there are as follows.

A: 165
B: 22.5
C: 170

Do you think that this is ok or should i go down on the 165 to something smaller?

thanks,
Joel

Read what I wrote in the first post, everybody seems to just skip that and go to asking a question. Also, C: can't be 170, that's just way too high. Mine had a 60 there.

Mad Cow.............

to let you know and the others. I have read the FIRST POST!
and what is not real clear is which jets you are refering to..... the stock ones in the z400 or refering to the stock warrior carb jets.

just my 2 cents worth.

later

Latest posts

Back