Won't start, getting frustrated

Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum

Help Support Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dswpaints

Reaction score
First time on any forum, been trying to solve my problems reading everyone else's. I realize the more I'm trying to learn and take in the more I just don't know. any who. got 2002 warrior 350 just got on craigslist and barely got it started but he said just needed new battery. got new battery,has new cdi,new stator,new plug,starter rebuilt. carb just cleaned. The starter is turning and flywheel was hardly moving, I adjusted valves and flywheel started turning a little better but not great. Has spark when I pull it out and check it against machine. Electrical is a mess with wires dangling from no lights on front and back. I think these are safety switches taped together, not sure. Regulator is not hooked up, not sure which wires go where since harness was cut off. It rode great when i got it last week, i just can't get it started again. Can't even roll start it though i haven't tried since I adjusted valves. Im a sponge here just don't want to go buying starter gear,etc without some proper troubleshooting. Any help would be appreciated it. I feel like an idiot for buying what i thought was working atv but I'm learning. I did start when I got it, barely, and it did drive.

If the harness is as butchered as you describe it's get a new wiring harness.

I just went through this hassel with mine, alex is right, just buy a new harness and proper equiptment. If you have spark then stator, coil and key switch are good, get a new harness, and bypass saftey switches acordingly, I can help with that if need be. But deffinately get a new harness, ebay shoild have decent used ones, just becareful and look at the pics before you buy! Good luck and let me know if I can be of any help.

Thanks for the quick response. It's weird that it would start when i bought it. I was sure in needed a new starter gear and one way clutch. The flywheel still doesn't move right away, it takes a few seconds of holding the starter button till is slowly starts to move but then it'll spin but won't start. Is it normal for it to be slow like that at first or would an electrical problem make it "sluggish". I figured I'd clean carb again one more time. I'll start pricing harness though.

Clean and check grounds and power connections for starter. See if that helps.

Broken wire/bad connection will cause these symptoms.

Last edited:
video problem

can't seem to load a video but here's a link to the you tube video i just did. http://youtu.be/p9birkRcCFs The flywheel isn't moving until about the one minute mark but even with gas tank on it makes the same sound. when i try to do compression test with flywheel moving and hit throttle the flywheel immediately stops. was thinking if flywheel turns and doesn't start maybe i need to clean carb again. thanks for your help!

thanks drknight77, that's what I had finally concluded until i did my valve clearance and the flywheel started to move some. It's always nice to get a second opinion. I started pulling apart last night but like other posts the harbor freights jaw puller just doesn't get that flywheel off. so far other gears aren't missing any teeth but will be ordering one way starter bearing today. thanks again

Final update to this thread. I tried all kinds of redneck ways to get flywheel off even a pecan cracker, i degress, until i finally bought the 30 tool which of course took 30 seconds. Just installed the starter clutch and it cranked right up. thanks everybody!

yea even though it is running, I agree after looking at your wiring harness I would definitely buy one. Not like right this minute but when you get the money get one because if you have problems in the future that mangled harness will make it ten times harder to determine what the problem is and make it damn near impossible for the gurus on here to help.

Back