What's the deal with quad 'sizes'?

Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum

Help Support Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

2xtreme

Reaction score
OK, this might be general knowledge for some, but I was doing some reading and it seems that some quads' engine sizes are nowhere near what their names imply.

For instance:

Warrior350 = around 348cc if I remember correctly
YFZ450 = 449cc, previous model was 439cc
KFX700 = 697cc
Raptor700 = 686cc

So what gives?

they just round up... sometimes the round a little too much i guess, they try to keep it on the most even and practical number i guess lol

OK, this might be general knowledge for some, but I was doing some reading and it seems that some quads' engine sizes are nowhere near what their names imply.

For instance:

Warrior350 = around 348cc if I remember correctly
KFX700 = 697cc
Raptor700 = 686cc

So what gives?

I don't know if they do it for this reason but I would rather say a warrior/raptor 350 VS a warrior/raptor 348. The same for the other models. In my own opinion it just sounds better.

Like a said though, some are way off.

You would think they'd just try to get the motor a little closer to where they're expected to be.

I think the worst is the 300EX, or at least that I've ever seen, go figure!!! ;D

Yeah I agree 2xtreme. I install car stereo and amplifiers are pretty much the same way. For instance Kicker will have an 800 watt amp and inside the box it will come with a birth certificate and it will have the actual rating on it and they are usually like 760 watts. Most of the brands we sell are very close in power. However I have seen many brands that we don’t sell rate their amps like 200 watts over what they actually are. My next guess would be advertisement. People see the larger number and think they are getting something bigger which in some cases is better.

I think the worst is the 300EX, or at least that I've ever seen, go figure!!! ;D

honda has a tendency to do this. Both the recon and 250ex are 229cc, but it's close enough to 250 for honda.

Polaris, Bombardier, etc, etc.

I would venture to say it's an industry-wide thing.

It's just plain misleadinging, I tell ya!

500 foreman= 475cc lol

its the class that they are in, like all the 450s are in one class, but if they were all named after their actual cc'age it would be confusing now wouldn't it? and its for looks, what would you rather have on your warrior/ raptor? 348 or 350?

I guess that’s with many things though. Many products when dealing with specs are rounded up to sound better and appear more appealing. Back to the audio scheme most (if not all) advertise a 50W deck and unrealistic amp output! It turns out that either the 50W is peak power (and for decks you aren’t getting over 25W with out an amp) or there is some other hidden information. A lot of amp companies will boast 600 Watts (for example) but at a unrealistic voltage (14.4V +); with no load you will get that voltage with out a problem, when dealing with car audio stuff though you don’t touch that with a stock alternator - the voltage fluxes GREATLY in range depending on demand making the advertised output at that resistance masked as well as false. Then you have the amp companies who just boast the output with realistic numbers and are just 100% full of ****.

Another extreme BS thing is Radar Detectors... Most of the cheap radar detectors (detectors under $200.00) boast unrealistic detection range and abilities for the technology they have. Most of these "cheap" detectors will boast ranges in upwards of multiples miles - most of them get no more then a quarter to half mile (putting you with in range or on the edge of being in range every time). Another thing I find funny with these detectors is "POP" detection. Only a handful of radar detectors (about 3 detectors currently on the market) have the technology to pick up this ultra fast (readings in ms) radar burst; but MOST OF THE OTHERS (Cobra, Whistler, RMR, Radioshack, etc...) still advertise having this ability when they don't! Another feature I see being advertised on the cheapo' radar detectors is passive radar/lidar jamming... It is a proven fact that passive jamming DOES NOT work - thus all these companies boasting these on-board jammers are full of ****.

Onto my final product that relies almost 100% on bullshit and the stupidity of the buyer is... you guessed it! COMPUTERS!!! The computer companies throw information out there that customers understand (Hard Drive space, CPU speed, Memory, etc...); most people think that if you have lots of memory and a fast processor that your computer will be FAST FAST FAST!!! You do indeed get this hardware but the problem is that companies cheap out in the REAL decisive speed factors behind the scenes, variables that un-trained eyes don’t understand, variables that are seldom advertised with any computer for even trained eyes to see - it makes me sick.

The bottom line is that most products are exaggerated to some degree, read all the reviews you can, do your homework, consult a professional who won’t bullshit you - buyer beware.

Back