What causes warrior stators to fail?

Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum

Help Support Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sort of good news!

I talked to both Ricky Stator and the ebay seller who sent me my CDI (a procom unit... that's a separate issue). Both are willing to exchange for known working parts. I spoke with the CDI guy on the phone and he said that the stator assemblies sold by Ricky Stator and other similar companies are known for having issues and their claim of "a different spec for resistance on their pickup/source coils" makes no sense. He said that unless it's in the factory spec, the CDI isn't going to know what to do with the signal. He wants me to replace the stator first before sending the box back to him.

I really do think it's the stator... It makes sense that if there is supposed to be a set resistance, the box is expecting a set voltage drop across it. Anyway, he said I may have good luck with a replacement unit if it's within factory specs, but he recommended an OEM unit with an MSRP of ~$600.

I'm going to insist that my replacement from Ricky Stator meets factory specs and see where that gets me. I will keep you guys informed. The OEM unit sounds expensive, but when I consider that the original one lasted ~10 years and my last replacemnt lasted ~2, it can actually be cost effective depending on how long I decide to keep it.

Has anyone else had this problem with an out of spec from factory stator?

Last edited:
The stator is in the mail on its way back to California. Hopefully replacement parts will get me going again. Do you guys just replace your stators with OEM units and never have these problems?

The replacement stator they sent works great. It fired right up and all is well.

Electricity isn't that bad.
Its all about current flow nothing more. The same as water flows through pipes. Energy flows through wires.
But its easy for me I deal with it everyday on a $1billion Drillship.
12VDC is easy compared to 11kVAC.
Hang in there on these electrical problems. Just remember that the current must have a path from + to - for anything to work. Starters, sparkplugs, lightbulbs, ect,ect.
A good volt/ohm meter is invaluable. Test lights are not so good except for the super simple stuff.
My 0.02$

The biggest probs with it on bikes is needing to remove the stator cover to test stator and coils. Getting the required ohm numbers can be a pain without a manual, if you don't have access to the net while you're doing it. Between a multimeter, test light, and if you have a battery drain issue, a parasitic draw tester, you can find and fix most all electrical issues.

Yea the funny thing was I don't think the resistance numbers across the coils changed from one stator to the next, it was like one just sucked and the other didn't. I realize this is not how electricity works, but that's what had me stumped in the first place. The first stator I bought didn't seem to perform any differently in the tests I performed other than the most important: the start/run test haha.

I know the feeling man.

Also, the new stator tested ~1.2 ohms across the 3 white wires just like the old one, so that was probably fine and I could have just ordered source and pickup coils. Hopefully somebody reads this thread if they have the same issue.
Having same issues with mine! Ordered a new source and pickup coil for my 2007 raptor! Hopefully that is it

I am having starting issues again (weak/inconsistent spark). I had just finished putting the rear end back together so I went for a ride around the house. When I pulled back up to the garage it didn't want to idle right and it cut off. I haven't been able to start it since so I've been going through the manual's troubleshooting guide.

I replaced the spark plug just in case with a NGKD8EA or whatever, then found that the ignition coil/cap were both out of spec so I replaced them as well. Both switches checked out ok, so on to the magneto. Both source and pickup coils tested out of spec. This is frustrating because just a couple years ago I swapped the original stator with a full replacement unit from Ricky Stator. I find it strange that the original unit lasted ~10 years while the replacement died after ~2. Before buying a new stator, I wanted to know if any of you have had similar experiences and what you have done to extend the lives of your stators. Also, if you know, what causes them to fail typically?
Make sure you have a good ground.

Back