What causes warrior stators to fail?

Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum

Help Support Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

andryzzle

Reaction score
I am having starting issues again (weak/inconsistent spark). I had just finished putting the rear end back together so I went for a ride around the house. When I pulled back up to the garage it didn't want to idle right and it cut off. I haven't been able to start it since so I've been going through the manual's troubleshooting guide.

I replaced the spark plug just in case with a NGKD8EA or whatever, then found that the ignition coil/cap were both out of spec so I replaced them as well. Both switches checked out ok, so on to the magneto. Both source and pickup coils tested out of spec. This is frustrating because just a couple years ago I swapped the original stator with a full replacement unit from Ricky Stator. I find it strange that the original unit lasted ~10 years while the replacement died after ~2. Before buying a new stator, I wanted to know if any of you have had similar experiences and what you have done to extend the lives of your stators. Also, if you know, what causes them to fail typically?

the pick up coil and the source coil are usually the main things that go bad on the warriors most likely causes imo would probably be high oil/motor temps

Thanks. Would those going bad cause the ignition coil to go bad as well? I'm going to try to pull it apart tonight to make sure there is no obvious damage to anything else before just ordering the pick-up and source coils.

well if the pick up coil is bad it won't send power to the cdi in turn to send power to the ignition coil to make spark same with the source coil

Right, but there are two separate resistance tests that my ignition coil failed. I was wondering if another part failing would cause an unsafe condition for my ignition coil and make that go bad too.

Checked some resistances on the stator and coils

My warrior is a 99 and the guide I have I got from here (published 1997)

Across the pickup coil I got 374 kOhms (spec says 270-330 ohms, so 1000 times worse haha)
Across the source coil I got an open circuit (spec says 171-209)

Across any combination of the 3 wires in the other plug I got 1.2-1.3 ohms. (nothing in the spec about this, just trying to determine if I need a new stator or just new coils)

If the spec is 270-330 ohms, why does RM stator advertise that their pickup coil has 500 ohms resistance? I may go ahead and just get the two coils unless anyone on here knows different based on the measured resistances or something else.

update:

Replaced the stator and oil. It fired up first try and ran for a few seconds then it started missing at idle and eventually died out. It hasn't started back up again since; same no-spark condition.

I checked resistance on both coils after it wouldn't start again and as far as I remember they were in spec. The next step in the troubleshooting guide is the CDI (since I replaced everything else: plug, ignition coil, and stator) so I went ahead and ordered one. It's getting quite frustrating... My next move if that doesn't fix it is to kick it pretty hard then start checking continuity on every relevant wire I can find.

Any ideas? Anybody been though something similar? What are my options here?

where is the pickup coil located at? im new at this and not sure where things are on my bike as it has the same no start problem.

On the left side of the bike, you'll see a big chunk of wires going into the engine. You have to take off the plastic cover that says "yamaha" and then the cover under that as well. Be aware that oil is inside the 2nd one. The stator and both coils are mounted to that cover

I know the feeling man.

Also, the new stator tested ~1.2 ohms across the 3 white wires just like the old one, so that was probably fine and I could have just ordered source and pickup coils. Hopefully somebody reads this thread if they have the same issue.

More fun. New CDI connected and no start still.

I guess I have a connection issue somewhere. Any ideas on where to start?

check all your GROUNDS and connections and bypass the clutch and parking brake safety switches and don't over look the simple **** cause 9 times out of 10 it's the simplest thing possible lol

befor you order any more parts take the two wires that are the pickup coil a switch them in the plug were it goes to the harness 4/5 times that's the issue

I actually remembered that trick from last time I redid the stator. I tried it when I did the stator, but not since I replaced the CDI as well. I'll give it a shot. Thanks. As for the wire tracing, i'm not looking forward to it but I have to be close to getting it running...

I would just check over the entire wireing harness

My 94 I had to replace the wire harness I noticed off the Cdi there was a white wire with a black tracer that had rubbed through, I forget what it was for but it was important. So why it was rubbed out I dunno but that's where I'd start again

I flipped the wires on the pickup/source coil a few times (tried all 3 combinations) and one of them got it to fire up for a bit. It eventually died out again and will not start. I left everything alone and took it to a friend who works on small motors. He had a dynamic spark tester. I have 0 spark.

I stripped the wiring harness and traced the wires that were relevant to the ignition system. There were only a few. 2 coming from the main and run switches (that met into 1), 2 coming from the ignition coil, and of course the ones coming from the pickup/source coils to the CDI. Nothing looked rubbed through and they all checked out for continuity as well. I now have a non running quad and a wiring mess lol. Logic tells me that the problem now lies either in wire connectors, or in one of the parts that I JUST REPLACED. Frustrating still. I also tested my parking brake and clutch safety switches. Both are functioning fine.

I contacted Ricky Stator about their return program to see if maybe I got a dud. Since the stator failed before, I'm taking that course of action first. If they won't accept a return, I'll probably order a stator from RM stator since I see they do have a return program. It's ~$150 that I don't want to spend, but the quad is no good to me just sitting. It's almost prime riding time! I almost hopped on a full wiring harness (including CDI and ignition coil) that was on eBay, wishing I did.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back