What can I do to make my warrior better?

Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum

Help Support Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

98warrior350yfm

Reaction score
I've got a 98 warrior and it's pretty much junk right now. What should I do first to make it better?

Throw some pics of it on here so we can see it. What about it is junk? Does it run, smoke, cough, sputter,fart,shake,puke or what? Need some info my friend. Btw, welcome to the forum bud!

It all depends on what kind of riding you do. If the motor runs fine start with suspension. Look in the elite threads and you will get an idea and make it what will fit you the best.

thanks guys. It's really slow starting, and smokes some. It runs alright for an old quad but it sounds pretty bad. It's fairly rusted too. I was thinking new exhaust, spark plugs, new rings. And I'm trying to decide what to paint it.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    90.4 KB · Views: 19
The plastic looks good in the picture. I guess depending on your budget, riding style and wrench ability start with the engine, carb and exhaust. Or tear it down and start a build. They are fairly simple to take apart. Sand and paint frame, get new bushings and bearings and make it a roller. Then tackle the engine. It depends on if you want to ride and fix or fix it first. There are numerous directions to head in. Like Jeff said check out elite and build threads and get some ideas. Good luck.

I rode and fixed mine as I went. If I had it to do again I would have stripped it down to the frame and rebuilt it first instead.

Its like this-- Make sure the thing is safe. If it starts and runs 1) clean air box & air filter 2) get a new spark plug 3) get a new oil filter & change the oil.

Then I would 1) check my chain & sprocket; make sure its not all rusted and ready to bust. Make sure its lubed up good. Broken chain will **** your **** up bad. 2) check my brakes; front and rear for pad wear & fluid level. Make sure them suckers work good. 3) check ALL my bearings in case any are worn and replace em if they are.

Then i would tighten and check every nut and bolt. Make sure the tie rods are straight and the a-arms are greased up good. Tighten up everything. Go thru the entire machine and get to know how all the **** works.

Then I would clean the carb and familiarize myself with it. Learn where the jets are located and how it works. If you ever wanted to do any mods you would have to rejet; so knowing how your carb works is very important. It's very easy too.

Quad looks good man. I'd worry about painting it last. Make sure she runs good and is safe. Good luck & welcome to the forum!

git a piston and rings from wiseco. also rec. the stage 4 d&g exhaust with k&n air filter combo, bout 220 plus shipping from amazon. and i picked up a set of brakes from caltric for 11 bucks. the exhaust makes it sound mean and gives a little bit more power

Jimmys spot on to make sure its running good. i wouldn't start tinkering with anything else until i knew basic maintenance was up to date

Back