Warrior top end

Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum

Help Support Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jack5tor

Reaction score
My '02 warrior has a leaking base gasket which after months of being ignored now needs to be replaced. Since I'm going in there, I'm wondering what else I should do to prevent future top end repairs... I'm not very experienced but I'm pretty sure it needs rings because it's smoking more and more on startup and sometimes while riding. I'm also guessing it will need a new piston because it's pretty beat up in general and it has a lot of hours on it. So my question is cani only replace the gaskets for the top end, the piston and rings and possibly have it bored without needing to replace more? I don't want new jets or to have to adjust the carb because I don't know how and I don't want to need to get new valves or a new cam or anything because I'm on a short budget. Besides the smoking, the engine also ticks pretty loud and I checked the timing and adjusted valve clearance but neither helped much. Any help is appreciated, thanks!

Last edited:
well the cam chain should be replaced and if it smokes on startup then its vavle seals and if it smokes while running it is rings so replace both and a new piston and hone the cylinder

Why would the cam chain need to be replaced? It's still tight and looks like its in very good condition.. I don't know if that means anything though. If the cylinder walls are damaged and it needs to be bored does that automatically mean I need carb adjustments or jets or anything?

no no usually and you may not need a cam chain but you where asking about preventative maintence while the top end was off si I was just sayin

Ohh ok that makes sense, are there any symptoms of a cam chain that may be wearing down? It seems to be in great shape but I don't know what to look for besides the obvious damage or it bring really loose

tension someonesle should chime I know they wear out over time just like a regular chain but i'm not sure how to check it to see if it needs replaced

Also what is replacing the valve seals like? Is that a difficult fix or does it take a while?

a shop will have to do it for you there only like 2$ a piece for the seals and I don't know how much a shop will charge to replace them

Are they worth getting replaced? Will it just get worse and is it bad for the engine at all? I'm worried the local shop will charge me a ridiculous amount for labor

to see how good or bad the timing chain is pull the 12mm bolt on the tensioner and then pull the tensioner off (2 8mm bolts) and see how far the tensioner shaft is out if it's over half way extended the chain should be replaced

without the tensioner yes it will be loose
just don't turn the motor over while you have the tensioner out it will jump time

You should replace the cam chain just to know that you have a good new one in there. Their not very expensive.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Yamaha-YFM-...Parts_Accessories&vxp=mtr&hash=item5d33d8d917

A complete gasket set is a good idea as well, cause you'll never know what else you'll find when you get it apart..

I bought this winderosa kit from "sledpartsguy" on ebay. He's a great seller, and the kit's a good one. It also comes with valve seals.
(You can get the cam chain from him as well)
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Yamaha-Warr...84637&pt=Motors_ATV_Parts_Accessories&vxp=mtr

Valve seals aren't hard to replace. You have to pull the valve springs though, and you need a spring compressor to get the retainer nuts back on.
It's better to pull the head, and get someone who's done it before to do it for ya.
Get your cylinder work done at the same time, and then order your piston..
(Get the work done first, so you know what size piston to order)

Last edited:
is it just me or does that cam chain pic look like a drive chain and not a cam chain?

I ordered my pistons from him for my Ski Doo 583 Formula plus a long time ago.
so is it a cam chain he is selling for $25 or is it a drive chain cause the cheapest cam chain I could find was $37 and that is DID

I ordered my pistons from him for my Ski Doo 583 Formula plus a long time ago.
so is it a cam chain he is selling for $25 or is it a drive chain cause the cheapest cam chain I could find was $37 and that is DID
DID chains are the best money can buy IMO.. You get what you pay for.
I bought a cam chain from him for my 366 when I rebuilt it.. It lasted the life of the motor. I can't remember what brand it was though?

You should replace the cam chain just to know that you have a good new one in there. Their not very expensive.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Yamaha-YFM-...Parts_Accessories&vxp=mtr&hash=item5d33d8d917

A complete gasket set is a good idea as well, cause you'll never know what else you'll find when you get it apart..

I bought this winderosa kit from "sledpartsguy" on ebay. He's a great seller, and the kit's a good one. It also comes with valve seals.
(You can get the cam chain from him as well)
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Yamaha-Warr...84637&pt=Motors_ATV_Parts_Accessories&vxp=mtr

Valve seals aren't hard to replace. You have to pull the valve springs though, and you need a spring compressor to get the retainer nuts back on.
It's better to pull the head, and get someone who's done it before to do it for ya.
Get your cylinder work done at the same time, and then order your piston..
(Get the work done first, so you know what size piston to order)

Actually most shops will want the piston so they can hone the jug to the proper clearances. Most people consider .020"(83.5mm) over to be the first bore. Most machine shops can do some measurements and tell you how far it would need to be bored out to clean it up. Usually though .040(84mm) is all the bigger you would need to go. You could also go the route Ive taken, I picked up an extra jug and head so that Ill only have about a days worth of down time.

DID chains are the best money can buy IMO.. You get what you pay for.
I bought a cam chain from him for my 366 when I rebuilt it.. It lasted the life of the motor. I can't remember what brand it was though?

Chain wise its been a toss up, some guys are like you and the DID chains last longer. jasonp has had better luck with yamaha chains, which if you go by your you get what you pay for would be better. Im not gonna say either way, because all Ive had so far is stock chains(Jar-Jars is do for replacement so we'll see what I go with). DID or a yamaha chain is about all Id trust though, Ive done some searches on some of the others you can buy and they are seem to not last.

Back