Warrior 350 Idling Problems

Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum

Help Support Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

warriorsrawesome

Reaction score
Hey everyone, it's been a while since I posted anything, I've been real busy with work. Anyway, for those of you who don't know, my trusty Warrior has not been running for several months (turned out it broke the woodruff key. Then it broke it again since I didn't use the genuine Yamaha part). Now I fixed the little issue that made it not run at all, and of course now I run into a new problem. Basically, it's backfiring and the carb kind of "hiccups." So it's popping in both the muffler and carb. It will run fine if the choke is on, and it doesn't pop much that way. It will run fine with the choke off if you give it several revs and can get it to the higher RPM's and again it does not pop much that way. But as soon as you let off the throttle it does a ton of popping as it decelerates and the motor will die unless you take action quick.

So that's basically the story. I have tried a quick carb cleaning (take the bowl off, use air compressor to blow through all the jets and stuff several times) and that did nothing. I have tried messing with the pilot air screw and that had very little effect. Like I said it has been sitting for a while, but it doesn't seem like that would affect much of anything except the carb, air filter, and muffler. It was running fine before it broke the woodruff key, and no modifications or adjustments of any kind have been made since that happened. My muffler is impossible for a mouse to get into since it's an FMF Megamax II (worst pipe ever made) with that lame spark arrestor that is made out of those plates that fit together and go on the end of the muffler. My air filter is a UNI Pod Filter that goes directly onto the carb (I hate airboxes) and it is perfectly fine. I guess that the first problem I fixed did require me to unplug some wires which had dirty connections that I didn't really clean, so I could work on those I guess. I am at a total loss. I cannot begin to describe how frustrating this is. I haven't been riding much for a long time since the Warrior is the quad I really prefer (the Raptor was a pain so I just didn't ride it, the Big Bear needs some serious help, the Moto-4 is not as fun though I do ride it often and the 400EX I just got needs one big job done to it before I can ride it). Now I finally get my prize quad running and I still can't ride it...I'm thinking about taking it to a mechanic or buying a bunch of new parts so I don't even have to mess with adjustments and such.

Thanks for any help!

P.S. I have been doing research and heard that the sensors for the clutch and parking brake are sometimes problematic. They are still on my Warrior, but I don't really see how they could be causing this kind of issue so I have not messed with them.

My 2004 is doing the exact same thing, I know it is running LEAN, that will cause the hiccup and popping, I just haven't figured out where the air leak is yet. I have started it, sprayed starter fluid around the manifold, so I know it's not there, guess I'll pull the carb back of the bike and re - check my re-checks.

Warriorsrawesome my brother (who is wizard with this kinda stuff) is coming by to take a peek see on mine, and I will let you know what we find. Mine sat for about a year and is doing the exact same thing. Stay Tuned and I'll let you know.....Roger

what yamahauler said...ive done the same thing to mine...i bought mine with the two switches messed up....guy thought is was blown up and i picked it up for 200 lol...come home cut the wires and shes never gave me bull since...

what yamahauler said...ive done the same thing to mine...i bought mine with the two switches messed up....guy thought is was blown up and i picked it up for 200 lol...come home cut the wires and shes never gave me bull since...

Could be parking break cable or rectifier. Unplug the rectifer after u start it and see how it runs.

I re did my carb, after I checked my Accelerater shaft (item #42 on blow up sheet) I found it was stuck, after cleaning it up and reinserting it, then adjust my pilot screw (air/fuel mixture) to 2 1/2 turns out, problem solved. no need to cut any wires, beside, why cut them when you can just unplug then below the headlight...?

Hey everyone sry for not replying. I thought I would get email alerts when I got replies but I don't.

Anyway I fixed it. Turned out that it was bad gas, a spring missing from my pilot air screw (so it screwed itself all the way in), and a little junk that was sticking to the end of my pilot jet around the hole and then every once in a while a piece would slip in and get stuck. Could hardly see that it was there until I took a wire to the jet. Now that I got that all sorted out it quit popping and idles normally.

New problem now, so I'll start a new thread, but for the sake of updates the thing is now running rich. With the stock main jet (145), the motor starts cutting out at about 3/4 throttle. At first I thought it must be running lean because of the pipe and air filter, so I put in a 150 main and now it cuts out at 1/2 throttle, so it must be running rich. Come to think of it, the Warrior had been doing this before. Right after I put on that pod filter, it started doing this. There's nothing wrong with the filter, so why would this happen? Don't aftermarket intake and exhaust parts make the motor run lean? Short of putting in a smaller main jet or dropping the needle, what else can I do? And no, I'm not putting the stock air filter set up back on. Ever.

Back