Very frustrated!!

Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum

Help Support Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SpeedymanWCC

Reaction score
Ok, so I bought a 1987 warrior that looked like it was put into time capsule. Looks friggin mint. But there was no spark! So I figured out that I could swap out all the electronics to the 1998 model and have replacement part availability. 1987 parts are old stock only. $800 for an 87 cdi...nope!! So that's what I did. All the electronics are new, everything from front to back! From Yamaha wiring harness to Rick's motorsports stator. Yes I upgraded the magneto flywheel also. So I also grounded all safety switch wires and disabled plunger for parking brake. It has a new coil and battery. It has a spark but barely. I tested it with a spark tester with light bulb and it pulses but a low orange glow. Not bright like it should. It has a new battery. I checked and cleaned all grounds. The only old thing is the starter. It shot sparks out the case yesterday and it froze up. I tapped it with a srew driver and it worked again. Fluke says I'm only getting 6 volts on orange wire to coil. The stator reads 347ohms on white/red and 548ohms on blue/green. I think the starter is the only thing left that could be the issue. What's another $40 after all the othe parts...lol Any ideas or words of wisdom? Can a crappy 1987 starter that is going bad, draw so much current that it starves the cdi?

Am having wiring issues also. Need a wiring harness for my 87 warrior. I was trying to figure out which years are actually exchangeable? Did you get this figured out?

Yes. You can get a 1999 warrior harness from partzilla. But you have to switch ALL electronics and get a 1998 and up magneto/flywheel. Then you can use replacement parts from 1998-2003, which are still in production and are readily available. I mean all electronics. Stator, relays, key switch, cdi, rectifier. I got the stator, key switch, cdi and rectifier/voltage regulator from Dennis Kirk. Relays and wiring harness from partzilla. Magneto/flywheel from ebay. Word of advice you need to ground the green/white wire that goes to the reverse lever from the new harness. The 87 reverse lever doesn't have a switch. Also the stator from dennis kirk the Rick's motorsports one is wired incorrectly, just plug it in the way the plugs fit together between the harness and the pickup and source coils. There isn't instructions with the stator but there is on dennis kirk. I wish I would have seen that, wasted 2 days troubleshooting. You might have to pull in the clutch to get it to start also. Hope this helps!

Latest posts

Back