valve stem carb mod

Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum

Help Support Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hashish420

Reaction score
Hey everyone what is this valve stem carb mod everyone is speaking of im overhauling mine right now!

There is a thread about it somewhere on here, just search pen spring valve cap mod.

Thanks found it. i find the gasket grabs the plunger when it gets older and shrinks.The design for these carbs is... well outright crappy

Quite the Contrary man, the factory BTM is a great lil carb. Just bc it's old and has likely never seen any care doesn't make it bad.
I Had it rebuilt by a atv mechanic last year and the year before that my boss had it done when he bought it :D the bowl gasket grabs the plunger at the begining of every season i hate it im switching to a round slide carb if possible!

I bought a round slide carb for my warrior. It's from DG its pretty nice. It's 280$. The throttle is a little harder to pull but you'll get used to it.

bran new o-ring from jetsrus at $9 fixed the issue for me

Nice is there supposed to be an o-ring on the plunger? mine doesnt have one and i found it kind of weird that they would let gas flow into accel pump housing?

Ummm. Well I was referring to the gasket around the float bowl that sticks. It's technically an oring. There is supposed to be a boot around the shaft portion of the acc pump in the throttle linkage area. No oring on the plunger itself. Should move freely

ok no, no boot either well then i hope it comes in my rebuild kit

so this mod made it laggy i took it out and all is well with the carb rebuild. Going to get my flywheel pulled by a mechanic tomorrow and replacing the timing chain.then im done.

That's strange did you stick a click pen spring in with the cap? I did it and it's a lot better

The whole point to the valve stem cap is to take the lag away by activating the accel pump sooner to help the lag when stabbing the throttle

The whole point to the valve stem cap is to take the lag away by activating the accel pump sooner to help the lag when stabbing the throttle

Mine laged a lot but I just did that mod and it runs way better.

yes i did it correctly im guessing it bogs out because the pump is activating to soon.Could be my carb is set perfect the way it is after my rebuild i dont know all i know is the bic spring works well but the valve stem cap makes it lag like a deep bog before it will rev up when you pin it.Any ways i left the quad at the mechanics over night so he could pull my flywheel... Brought it all ready all he had to do was pull the thing and i had to leave it -_-my baby at a mechanics :( first time for everything i guess

yes i did it correctly im guessing it bogs out because the pump is activating to soon.Could be my carb is set perfect the way it is after my rebuild i dont know all i know is the bic spring works well but the valve stem cap makes it lag like a deep bog before it will rev up when you pin it.Any ways i left the quad at the mechanics over night so he could pull my flywheel... Brought it all ready all he had to do was pull the thing and i had to leave it -_-my baby at a mechanics :( first time for everything i guess

That makes sense. Sorry to be off topic but which is faster and which do you prefer your suzuki lt230 or your warrior?

warrior for sure but my lt is in rough shape but still no comparison.It flies the front lifts by itself at points.
my warrior has hotcam high comp piston bored to 366 and full sankei hp1 600 exhaust + 4 axel and i believe the front is wider too (tho im not sure of factory specs) and my lt is stock exept for rear tires.

Last edited:
warrior for sure but my lt is in rough shape but still no comparison.It flies the front lifts by itself at points.
my warrior has hotcam high comp pistons bored to 366 and full sankei hp1 600 exhaust + 4 axel and i believe the front is wider too (tho im not sure of factory specs) and my lt is stock exept for rear tires.

Is your lt230 a lt230e for electric start and auto clutch or a lt230s for kick start and manual clutch?

Back