Update on cv joint rebuild

Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum

Help Support Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rocarl

Reaction score
Ok folks just wanted to update anyone interested about the front outer cv joint rebuild on my 06 450. First off, If you ever have to do this, SOP is to remove the cv axle. This is crazy and makes no sense. Yamaha went to sleep on this one. You should'nt have to go this far just for an outer joint rebuild. There is in fact an inner retaining ring holding the inner bearing race on to the axle splines. How you are supposed to compress it is beyond me. Trust me when i say there is absolutly no room to even attempt this. If you only have the inner race(which is what is actually being held on by the retaining ring) stuck on there and not the bearings and joint, this is how i got it off. Carefully take a cut off tool and make cuts on exact oppisite sides of the race almost all the way through. Again be careful not to go through to the axle splines. put a bearing puller on it which actually works perfect for this. and start wrenching. The race will snap, and the retaining ring is left unharmed. This is good because most rebuild kits don't include a new retaining clip. you may be able to do it without a bearing puller, using some other tools to apply pressure to the race, but a bearing puller made it real easy, and the splines were left in perfect shape. Anyway, I hope this info will be of help to someone. I really enjoy reading everyones posts, and its nice to know there are so many knowledgable people out there with the same interests. Thanks!

If the keeper ring is the one I'm thinking about, you aren't supposed to compress it, you are supposed to spread it so it comes off the splines along with the inner race.

Back