Transmission clunk please help

Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum

Help Support Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BradB

Reaction score
I've got a 2002 wolverine that I've been building from the ground up. I bought it not running and knowing that a lot had to be fixed before I was able to get it running. That said, I've finally got it put together enough to where I can start it up and run it around the yard but right off the bat I can hear a noticeable clunk in the transmission. I'll run through the scenario, start up the motor and let it warm up and push in the choke and while it's still in neutral rev up the motor and just after reaching idle I can hear a clunk inside of the motor but it doesn't do it every time maybe 3 out of 5 times revving it up and letting it go back to idle. It does the same thing when in gear also. 1st gear (and all gears), give it a little throttal and let off and the bike slows down and just a little before the bike comes to a stop I can hear a clunk and fill the bike jerk slightly when I hear the clunk. Is this normal and I'm just being paranoid or is something going terribly wrong in the transmission?

Pull the oil drain plug in the bottom of the bike, then remove the spring and filter screen. Run a magnet over/in it and see how much if any metal sticks to it, make sure magnet is clean first so you don't mistake it. If none or a couple of small flecks your probably ok. If there is a crap load, split the cases and find the problem. I will say the 5 speed tranny is noisy and clunky even when its all rebuilt.
Remember to put the filter and spring back in IT WILL SAVE YOUR @$$.
I ran my 98 for nearly 200 miles with the cam disintegrating, that PITA screen to put back in, saved the motor and the tranny. Split the cases all the bearings were good and there was a 1/4 inch of metal shavings around it. Nothing of consequence made it into the oil pump pickup because of that screen.

Back