Trail Tech Vapor speedometer

Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum

Help Support Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WoodWarrior

Reaction score
The bicycle speedometer that I have installed 5 years ago is at the end of his life and I am presently looking for a replacement. A little while ago, I found the Trail Tech Vapor speedometer. What I like about this model is that it has RPM. It may not be very useful but what can I say I love gadget :D.

vapor_tachometer.gif

I know one person that had numerous problems with his Trail Tech speedometer unit but I would like to have the opinion of a few more person before deciding whether I buy or not one for my Wolverine.

I've no experience with the Vapor, but I do love it's predacesor (sp?). I've had it on for years and it's give me flawless service - I have had two of mounts break on me - the first they replaced without question and I've yet to bother them with the second as I don't remove it any longer - it seems pretty weather tight.

If I had to buy another unit, I'd be looking at this one as a replacement.

And I'm just guessing, but based on the graphic you have posted, it looks like you can program in a shift light as well as see if she red lines. Sweet. And it's got an air temp as well. I might have to upgrade sooner than I thought! Way to go Steve - spending all my cash before I even get any. Maybe this will have to go on the Christmas list.

Yes, you are right the Vapor has Dual Programmable Shift Lights. For a list of features check the following link:http://trailtech.net/vapor.html. The kit for the Wolverine doesn't come with engine temperature sensor!

In a little while I will be able to tell you if you should had the Vapor to your Christmas list since I just ordered one unit for my Wolverine. I can't wait to see the Bar graph in action :D.

all of the sudden, I'm jealous.. I wonder if you can buy a temp probe (the kind that is a ring and goes in between the spark plug and the head and wire it into this unit? I'd give them a call and ask them if you can do that.

It has been more than a month since I ordered a Vapor speedometer. Well, I finally was able to make it work. Don't ask me why but it seems that the speedometer is unable to read speed when the sensor touches the frame (ground) :x.

If you want to see it in action then check the demontrastion video

By the way, thanks a lot for your help 95Wolverine.

So far, I have only tried the speedometer on the road on the front of the house. From those 'tests', I can tell you that the numbers on the screen are easy to read. The same thing can be said when it is dark since the Vapor has a nice blue backlight. I have a ride scheduled at the end of the week so I should be able to tell you more this weekend.

Yep, the video shows 56 miles per hour. I think that this reading can be related to the fact that the Wolverine had all of its 4 wheels up in the air.

After a 100 miles of very dusty and rocky trails, I can tell you that the Vapor speedometer and my custom installation have worked like a charm :D. The numbers remain readable even when the trails get bumpy. There is only one situation where the speedometer is completely unreadable; it is when there is a thin layer of dust on the speedometer and that the sun shines directly on the screen.

I also compared the distance of the Vapor with the distance on the factory speedometer of my friend Honda Rubicon and we had only 2,5 miles of difference. I found it more than reasonable since the wheel has made more than 84 000 revolutions during that ride :roll:.

In conclusion: so far so good.

Well so far the only think the Vapor has seen a lot is very cold weather and snow. For the long term reliability I have already my doubt. During the last month of my winter season the unit started to have problem. When starting my Wolverine all the lcd sections began to stay light. As soon as I touch one of the buttons, everything goes back to normal. One of the side effects of that problem is that the speedometer resets to 0 every time :x . This is very annoying since I can?t have the complete distance done on a trip unless I don?t stop my Wolverine. :?

Well so far the only think the Vapor has seen a lot is very cold weather and snow. For the long term reliability I have already my doubt. During the last month of my winter season the unit started to have problem. When starting my Wolverine all the lcd sections began to stay light. As soon as I touch one of the buttons, everything goes back to normal. One of the side effects of that problem is that the speedometer resets to 0 every time :x . This is very annoying since I can?t have the complete distance done on a trip unless I don?t stop my Wolverine. :?
I know this is a old thread but I have a vapor on my dirt bike that started going back to zero all the time and I found out there is a little cr3020 battery that's used for the memory went dead inside it is accessable in the back .

Back