Stator? Voltage reg? Ignition coil???

Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum

Help Support Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Xxraptor350riderxX

Reaction score
First off like 2 days ago my battery was dead, and I charged it and put it back in then my raptor will be a b**** to start, and as soon as it starts it will die, if it idles and I hit the throttle it will bog immediately and die, or back fire really bad. But after about 15 mins of trying to start. It will, then like 5 mins of riding it will die and not start until the battery dies again, I'm thinking stator, but why would it be so hard to start with a full charge? Ps* the spark is so weak that you can't see it unless the lights are out, and idk why... New plug. Any ideas at all?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I charged the battery again today (much warmer) and she ran like a dream all day... Loose connection? Witch ones?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On the 3 white wires coming out of the stator, they should all have 0.7~0.8 ohms resistance in all three combinations. That means imagine numbering each white wire either 1, 2, or 3. Check 1 to 2, 1 to 3 and 2 to 3. Also, check any one of the white wires to the laminated iron core of the stator. ANY continuity to ground indicates the stator has had an insulation breakdown and will have to be replaced.

To test the Source coil (for the ignition) connect your pocket tester from the white/green wire to the red wire. Resistance should be 270~330 ohms resistance.

To test the pickup coil, connect your tester from the blue to the yellow wire. Resistance should be 171~209 ohms resistance.

On the 3 white wires coming out of the stator, they should all have 0.7~0.8 ohms resistance in all three combinations. That means imagine numbering each white wire either 1, 2, or 3. Check 1 to 2, 1 to 3 and 2 to 3. Also, check any one of the white wires to the laminated iron core of the stator. ANY continuity to ground indicates the stator has had an insulation breakdown and will have to be replaced.

To test the Source coil (for the ignition) connect your pocket tester from the white/green wire to the red wire. Resistance should be 270~330 ohms resistance.

To test the pickup coil, connect your tester from the blue to the yellow wire. Resistance should be 171~209 ohms resistance.

I'm gonna be doing this in the morning before I order parts. My 87 runs great for about 7 minutes and then starts to stutter and dies. Once it cools off it will fire up and do the exact same thing. Is this procedure the same for an 87 Warrior with two pickup coils? And a super dumb question, How should I have my multimeter set??? Also, is there a way to check the ignition coil? Is it even possible it could be a bad ignition coil???

Last edited:
Yours will have different specs. I don't have my manual right now but you should be able to google it. I doubt that it's the coil but is possible.

Back