starter clutch going bad?

Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum

Help Support Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

trail dozer

Reaction score
I have a 2000 yamaha wolverine. since ive owned it the past month or two it has made an awful noise from the flywheel side of the motor when I go to start it. The guy I got it from said it was just the starter clutch going out. it runs fine and doesnt make any other noises except for when I hit the starter button. and sometimes it takes awhile for it to actually start. I bought a used flywheel/starter clutch assembly off ebay and after I put that one on it still makes the same noise.

do I need to buy a NEW starter clutch instead of a used one? cause before i installed the 2nd one I compared em and they both looked the same and both of the starter clutch bearings looked and rolled the same?

do not touch the starter clutch if if work ! noise is normal

The noise isn't normal and it sounds to me like its your starter itself. Mine jus did that n when I tore my starter apart I found it had a bunch of black crud n some oil in it from the oil seal goin bad, the brushes were also worn so I bought a $25 rebuild kit off of ebay n threw that in there and now it works perfectly. I would jus tear your starter apart to check for yourself, the rebuild kit comes with everything you'll need n then some lol if u do end up havin to rebuild it I advise to remove the o rings n use heat to remove the bearing, and the bushing in the end cap ( which will not come out without heat), I had a hell of a time getting the bearing out without heat but wised up when attempting the bushing lol. Good luck and I hope this helps!!

thanks for the info. And also, I did try the starter out when I had the flywheel side cover off and the small gears out. the starter spun just fine and didnt make any wierd noise. But maybe if it is the starter itself it only does it when its under load trying to turn the motor over. but either way, I may pull the starter and go ahead and do a rebuild on it. it definatly wont hurt anything ;)

i have work on thousand of bike that starter clutch is doing noise, most of them is still doing noise and still working fine, never toutch a starter clutch until it not catch !!!

If u read the original post, he's not jus dealing with some noise, he's havin trouble gettin it started and I don't kno any factory that would let a quad leave doin that!!!

many bike out fof the factory doing starter clutch noise !

Are you kidding me? I would like to see ANY company try and sell a brand new bike that rolls off the showroom floor and makes what is being described as an awful noise upon starter engagement. The noise is absolutely not normal and I suggest following the suggestions outlined by WolvyRida.

should I make a video so you guys can hear what im talking about? and also, sometimes the pull start is hard to pull when trying to start the bike, like its catching in the starter clutch. but either way, something is not right. And I am trying to get everything fixed on it cause I kinda need to sell the bike pretty soon to get some money for working on my house. and with how it sounds now I doubt anyone would want to even buy it. I just need to get it fixed right.

starter clutch noise when starting an atv is normal !!! a bad starter cluttch, not catch and made no noise ...

when pull start , there is no starter clutch engaged, post a video !!!

for exemple , my dad quadrunner 500 made a weird pig cry noise when starting since day 1 and it now on 19950 km and still doing the same noise.

I think he's established that he doesn't want to just leave it alone or he wouldn't have posted this problem in the first place, leave it alone already!!!!

well I took the starter apart and cleaned and rebuilt it with one of those rebuild kits. it was pretty dirty but it didnt fix my problem. I will see if I can get a video or something posted and let you guys hear the noise it makes. I know its not normal

I'm having troubles with mine as well when I go to start it it cranks really slow for about 10 seconds but wont fire up and then it slows down to nothing and is making a fuzzy noise while trying and then it stops and wont move but u can see that the starter jerks the flywheel a little bit but it wont budge I dont know a lot about quads this is my first one but have rode a lot with my older brother pls help I really want to get this thing going I have a 98 warrior 350 6 speed with reverse

Latest posts

Back