starter clanker grrr

Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum

Help Support Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
if it does it on startup it's because your starter clutch is on it's way out. If it's just a little clunk when you shut the engine off it's normal. Not much you can do to stop the noise except to replace them, and for $200, why replace something that still works.

if it does it on startup it's because your starter clutch is on it's way out. If it's just a little clunk when you shut the engine off it's normal. Not much you can do to stop the noise except to replace them, and for $200, why replace something that still works.

Mines been doing it for a long time, im thinking about replacing it though because everyone always looks, not to mention it rattles so hard i can feel it in the bars. ugh no money make thats kinda hard.

It's not the starter motor, it's the starter clutch. The starter clutch isn't really part of the starter at all, it's a seperate comonent inside the engine cases by the flywheel. It's actually a one-way bearing that allows the starter to spin the engine to start it, but then also disconnects the starter so it's not spinning the whole time the engine is running. The clanking noises start when the bearing starts getting loose, and the surface it rides on gets rough and pitted. What really kills the starter clutches on warriors is when you transport the quad in gear, i'm pretty sure that's what killed mine, and I never knew it was bad for them at all until deathshadow posted it.

good info on the starter clutch.

on starters --if they quit working, chances are it just needs new brushes. I found them for less than $20 delivered. Took a little net time to find, but worth it. $170 new, $125 aftermarket, $75 rebuild oem parts, $20 brushes -easy decision

when my starter was acting up all i did was replace the brushes and everything has been fine for over a year and a half now, so if ya can, repair it

Latest posts

Back