Sprocket/tire/chain changes and effects on speed.

Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum

Help Support Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ok guys I've been playing around with diff gear sets and I can not figure out what every one means by getting out of the warriors torque range can some one explain this

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You can change the gearing and make it too hard for the motor to turn the wheels. Or spin so easy you will never get traction

So a 15-40 with 22" would be to easy or to hard? I'm changing again but I'm experimenting and don't wanna do damage

I understand this is an old thread but thought maybe I might get a little help from those that know this subject.

I am looking at putting a Warrior 350 engine in a go kart. Looking at the gear ratios and if I wanted to maintain the power ranges in a different package... does this seem accurate?

16 tooth engine sprocket with a 24 tooth axle sprocket, using an 11.00" tire.
16/24=0.666 multiplied by 11 = a gear ratio of 7.333

If the stock Warrior has a gear ratio of 7.13, would using the combination above result in the same expectations of a stock warrior?

As a side note, a stock Warrior I found says weighs around 395 pounds, the go kart should weigh about 150 pounds.

Any help is appreciated, thanks

I understand this is an old thread but thought maybe I might get a little help from those that know this subject.

I am looking at putting a Warrior 350 engine in a go kart. Looking at the gear ratios and if I wanted to maintain the power ranges in a different package... does this seem accurate?

16 tooth engine sprocket with a 24 tooth axle sprocket, using an 11.00" tire.
16/24=0.666 multiplied by 11 = a gear ratio of 7.333

If the stock Warrior has a gear ratio of 7.13, would using the combination above result in the same expectations of a stock warrior?

As a side note, a stock Warrior I found says weighs around 395 pounds, the go kart should weigh about 150 pounds.

Any help is appreciated, thanks
Hit the nail right on the head. the go-cart is much lighter, which means you'll go faster, that is...if you get ANY traction. A cart's treads won't be as grippy...or grippy at all, at that...compared to a Warrior's. And that extreme weight difference won't give you anything to push on the ground with.

I was gonna use the warrior axle and wheels with 22" rear and i think my fronts are 22" also

Stock gearing? If you end up doing it, I'd be super interested in a build log of it.

I posted this tutorials and I'll post it here too. You should find this very easy to understand, I think I got all the ratios and grear changes in there.

I'll post some ratios with different tire sizes.
The lower the number the higher the revs will be and the more top end you lose. Remember you can't go to high numbers because your motor may not have the torque and you'll actually lose power.

13/40 and 22s is 7.16 ratio, Stock gearing and 62 MPH.

12/40 and 22s is 6.60 ratio, Motor will be very torquey but lose top end.

12/40 and 20s is 6.00 ratio, First gear will be useless, and you'll run though the gears way to fast.

13/40 and 20s is 6.51 ratio, Same as 12/40 and 22s.

13/39 and 20s is 6.66 ratio, almost same as above.

14/40 and 20s is 7.01 ratio, Better but not close enough to stock.

14/38 and 20s is 7.38 ratio, pretty good all around ratio.

14/39 and 20s is 7.19 ratio, Almost perfect to stock gearing.

15/40 and 22s is 8.27 ratio, getting way out of the warriors torque range

15/40 and 20s is 7.51 ratio, Too high for stock motor will be sluggish.

15/38 and 20s is 7.90 ratio, Good for a 446 motor top speed over 80.

16/40 and 20s is 8.00 ratio Good combo for stroker motor.

13/40 and 18s is 5.86 ratio, Top speed will be like 40 MPH screeming.

14/40 and 18s is 6.31 ratio, Same as 12/40 with 20s.

14/38 and 18s is 6.47 ratio, Same as above.

15/38 and 18s is 7.11 ratio, Almost perfect to stock gearing.

16/38 and 18s is 7.59 ratio, Good if your motor can handle it, top speed will be in the mid 70s.

Also I switched from a non O ring Renthal chain to a Regina Z-ring and let me tell you.. There was no power difference what so ever. Also I've only adjusted my chain once and this is after about 400 miles of riding... with the non O-ring chain I would have had to adjust it every other ride. Non O-ring chains are not ment for quads, they allow to much dirt into the links and pins and will wear out fast no matter how much lube you put on them.
Off topic but need a tech question on jug spacer with about the oring at base. Trying find info about deleting them and run a bead of silicone around jug where oring would have been or what.

i ran a 17 tooth front sprocket with 22" bandits on my 96 warrior once, it was fast as hell but it took about a quarter mile just to get into 6th gear. i took that bitch off and put a 15 tooth sprocket and some 20" shredders on it and that setup worked pretty good
How can I make my warrior fast

Wont ever happen, its a 20 somthing HP toy. Worry about making it quicker off the line by some torque. run 20's, fly cut you cylinder base, open your air box up with a prodesign filter kit which really keeps dirt out of the motor and a good muffler. Besides that let it alone and go buy a raptor 700, however still not the fastest. fasted machine I owned stock was a KFX700

Back