Shifter Mod..

Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum

Help Support Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

54warrior

Reaction score
This was done quite some time ago, thought I'd share.

Remove the linkage from the shifter and shift arm
Remove shifter from footpeg.
Remove shift arm from shift shaft.
Shape shifter into desired bend/length, cut off material as req'd.
Weld shifter to shift arm.
Install "new" linkless shifter onto shift arm.

scan0004-1.jpg

Clever good work, the advanges of Direct Connect shifter is much smother shifting and much easier.

Is that shifter arm just made out of steel? not some stpuid aloy that welds like crap? Mig welder work?

Just so you guys know, you can buy a yz250 shifter and it's a direct bolt on and is the perfect fit.

i think yamaha originally did the linkage to avoid people bending the shift shaft... you guys dont have any issues with bending the shift shaft do you?

^ thats quite the theory.....but I haven't heard of any horror stories of doing the direct shifter setup yet, only praises. I always wonder my self as to why they did the whole linkage to footpeg shifter setup.....more parts always allow for more errors.

yeah im pretty sure thats why they did it that... if you look at other "buggies" you'll see that the shift shaft(pivot point) is alot closer to your heel... it makes sense to me why the shaft would want to bend with a direct shifter, i dont really know how to explain it with black and white letters tho....

im not slammin the direct shifter by any means, once my **** wears out ill be bolting one of those on (probably) because my process of rebuilding was sorta a pain in the ass and it didnt take all of the play out any ways

I've used the custom design for the big bear cooler for years now, no issues yet. It would be quite some **** luck to bend the shaft, I've never even heard of it happening on quads, just dirt bikes. I would think the shift lever would get tweaked before the shaft, but it's always possible I guess.

If you bent the shift shaft you would be the first.... i have been slammin gears for a long time with mine as does everyone else with no problems. The shifter would most deff. bend first... shaft is made of much stronger steel than any of the aftermarket shifters.

There are a lot of things that yamaha did with no explanation, except the Japanese tend to overcomplicate things that don't need to be. If you look at their newer machines, like the yfz and raptors, there are no linkages like the warrior used, just a direct link shifter. Maybe they did it to make the shift stroke longer so more leverage is put on it, maybe they wanted the quick adjustability of the turnbuckle link, I dunno. You would have to be the unluckiest person in the world to bend that shift shaft. The real danger of damage isn't going to be the shaft itself, it's going to be the forks and other moving parts inside the transmission that bend and break, and the stock linkage won't save them from this. Trust us, if you try a direct shifter you'll never give the risk another thought, it's a huge improvement.

I bought the yfz250 for 02 i believe from moose and it wouldn't fit right so i sat it on a shelf for the mean time. Yesterday i got tired of finding neutral when i went to shift to second. I decided that looking at the pictures i could make the moose lever work by bending it in two places and it works great. I wish i would of done it sooner.

im using a direct shifter and if your not go on ebay and GET ONE! its way better than stock

what does everybody use then??? the yz250f shifter like davez did????

Latest posts

Back