Reverse Kills Engine

Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum

Help Support Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Odetobob

Reaction score
Hello all,
I'm still tinkering on my new-to-me 95 warrior and I've got an issue that I can find some info about here on the forum, but can't sort out exactly where to start in the troubleshooting. Electrical gremlins are the ones that I struggle with the most.
The issue I'm having is that when I shift into reverse, the engine dies. I've checked and verified that I'm getting no spark when the shifter is in reverse. Feels like an obvious safety switch kicking in, but I'm afraid this bike has been frankenstein-ed a bit. The clutch lever has no switch plunger on it. The switch it would've activated (Clutch safety switch?) was zip tied down by the headlight. I have taken the switch out altogether and wired the leads together (per instructions on the forum on bypassing it). There is no dash board, so no reverse indicator light. There are no brake lights and I don't see a brake safety switch down by the rear brake pedal. I had to replace the wire to the neutral safety switch. It seems to be working (I have continuity from ground, through the wire, to the relay near the battery until I shift out of neutral and then it breaks the circuit). The green wire coming from the reverse lever also has continuity back to the relay when it's in forward and loses it when shifted to reverse.
Can someone point me in the right direction?
Thanks for the help,
Bob

Still haven't sorted this out. Any insight? I've got a meter and the will, if anyone wants more info about where power/continuity is or isn't. I can also post pictures or video if that's helpful.

Did you ever get this problem solved? I am in same issue, except my bike isnt frankensteined. I have the new clutch safety switch installed. The light comes on when I put it in reverse but as soon as I switch it to reverse the engine dies. Everything else works fine on quad. Only thing I have done abnormal is I am not runing headlights and or tail lights.

Check the ground connection on the reverse lever. There should be a black wire on the back of the switch that is grounded to one of the reverse lever mounting bolts. check if it has a clean ground to the frame.

Try taking the green/white wire that goes to the reverse lever and ground it directly to the frame and see if it still happens.

Back