Removing Camshaft needle bearing cage?

Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum

Help Support Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fishx65

Reaction score
Head has a ton of sand in it after beadblast. Got the cam out but how do I remove the needle bearings in the back?

Also, the bearing on the front of the cam is a 6005rs. Can I just pick a new one up at the auto parts store and remove the seal on one side. The bearing is nothing special, is it?

One more ?, best way to clean head to get all sand out?

Thanks guys, FishX

fishx65 said:
Head has a ton of sand in it after beadblast. Got the cam out but how do I remove the needle bearings in the back?

Also, the bearing on the front of the cam is a 6005rs. Can I just pick a new one up at the auto parts store and remove the seal on one side. The bearing is nothing special, is it?

One more ?, best way to clean head to get all sand out?

Thanks guys, FishX

Whats up fishy.
For the bearing you can just go to an auto parts store and get one.. pull the one side of the seal.
Getting the needle bearings out will be tough. Might have to torch it out or get a small prybar in there and get rough with it.
After a bleed blast like that I would try to go to a place with a hot tank pressure washer. Even then it might not all come out.

Thanks J. "Won't be able to get out all the sand", that does not sound to good!!! I'm gonna wash the crap out of this thing! So there is no way to get that back needle bearing out without destroying it?

fishx65 said:
Thanks J. "Won't be able to get out all the sand", that does not sound to good!!! I'm gonna wash the crap out of this thing! So there is no way to get that back needle bearing out without destroying it?

A needle bearing like that gets replaced every time you remove it. You basically have to push it in as well and have to be extra careful not to destory the cage or even dent or nick it. I personally would just hot tank wash it with the bearing in there and it will most likely be ok after a good wash and parts cleaner. Put a good assembly grease in there make sure they spin freely and it should be ok as long as the head had no oiling problems. If it lacked lube you need to find that problem and replace the guides and bearings.
Make sure to replace the valve seals if anything as well.
Yeah when you sand blast something it basically goes into every little spot and then if it gets onto moving parts consider it junk. You have to be really careful where you blast.
Yamahasportsplaza.com is a good place for parts.

i had an engine failer due to that needle bearing in the head going out. the needles came out but the race was still there. i just took it to my shop and they somehow got it out. i am not sure how they got it out but they did without a torch. last engine build i did, i took it to a guy who did nothing but machine engines so im sure he had all kinds of stuff to pull it out. if you have a good shop i would talk to them about it. hope this help a little.

Thanks everyone! I dropped it off at the shop yesterday for a complete valve job. They said they would hot tank it and make sure to get all the sand out. The sand got in through the headbolt holes. I should have bolted the head and cylinder together before the beadblast. Lesson learned! Cylinder and piston are close to wear limits so I'm still not sure if I'm gonna do a hone and rings or bore and new piston.

Back