Rear Brakes Don't Work 06

Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum

Help Support Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hopper64

Reaction score
I have a 2006 Wolverine 450. I bought it used a year ago with 1000 miles. When I brought it home the rear brakes did not work. I found that the previous owner ran the fluid completely out, and since they were never used the caliper pins were seized. I replaced the entire assembly (since you cant buy the slide pins separately), bled the system by hand and with a vacuum pump and still they barely do anything. My dad has on 2006 Grizzly, with almost the same rear brake setup and they feel exactly the same way. What id like to know is

1) are all late modeled grizzly/wolverines plagued with the rear brake problem
2) is anyone else out there with a 2006 Wolvy able to lock their back brakes and 3) what is the fix?

I have a hard time believing with all the great info out there that it has to be this way, but I am at a complete loss.

I can lock the rear brakes fine but they really do nothing as they are only 30% of your actual braking power.
I know what you mean with the feel, mine never feel they engage but I know they do cause i see the rear wheels slide.
Maybe replace the cable portion of the rear brakes they do stretch out after time and can no longer be adjusted.

I have replaced the entire caliper assembly, bled the brakes, put a vacuum on the brakes, reversed bled the brakes, checked/cleaned the master cylinder, replaced the brake cable, replaced all the fluid with new DOT 4 and it is still almost not there. It almost seems as if the master cylinder is not large enough or sized correctly for the caliper. Let me know if you find out how to fix them because I have tried what I honestly believe is just about everything.

I was going to suggest a suction pump but I guess the vacuum is the same.. I bought a little hand pump and modified it to pull the fluid though for my motorcycle brakes cause I kept getting an air pocket.

Will they lockup at all or is it they just don't slow you down fast?

My brakes will not lock up. I can feel them grab and they even squeak a little at the end. They were all cleaned 2x with brake cleaner before installation.

Back