raptor 660 chassis with an r1 motor help

Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum

Help Support Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

warrior87sambo

Reaction score
so one of my customers was asking if i would be interested in putting a R1 motor in his bike to make it a drag bike. anyone on here done that before? if i end up doing it i will do a build progress log. but i wanna do some more reading on it first.

I dont belive anybody has done a liter bike engine yet, but luscombe did a r6 in his bike. It's going to take a lot of frame reinforcement, a new swingarm, and a lot of chopping but the end product will be ridiculously awesome.

im seriously considering taking the job. im going to need to buy a welder tho and some other ****. its one of those things where he isnt in a hurry so i can take as long as i want. but since the 660 is a bigger frame than a warrior would it require as much chopping/reinforcing?

Look on YouTube it's been done before. Some of those guys may be able to help you also!

U r gonna want to gusset the **** out of every joint to handle the extra torque when u mash it. And u r probably gonna have to split the frame somewhere under the tank to fit that monster motor inside a quad. Sounds like an awesome idea tho. Definitely possible.

I did the R6 Warrior. I had an 09' R1 I was going to build into another hybrid quad but really do i need another 70hp? The 660 is a good place to start.

I disagree with having to reenforce the frame, You'll have to make it as strong as the stock frame but thats about it. If its just a drag bike there is no need for any extra strength. Remember the stock raptor was designed to take a hard landing from a jump. The 170hp engine wont put any more stress on the mid or forward frame. I'd be paying lots of attention the the rear motor mount, swing-arm pivot, and chain alignment. When i built mine I made a bunch of measurements regarding the center of the front sprocket and its alignment with the rear sprocket. With the R1's 170hp you want to make really sure the chain is pulling dead strait. I had a bunch of trouble with the stock warrior swing arm flexing and the splines on the drive hub and axle. My solution was an aftermarket chrome-molly YFZ450 swing arm modified to work with the warrior shock. I would also recommend a round carrier.

here is a vid of my old girl

http://youtu.be/B4c2SENYbRY

I did the R6 Warrior. I had an 09' R1 I was going to build into another hybrid quad but really do i need another 70hp? The 660 is a good place to start.

I disagree with having to reenforce the frame, You'll have to make it as strong as the stock frame but thats about it. If its just a drag bike there is no need for any extra strength. Remember the stock raptor was designed to take a hard landing from a jump. The 170hp engine wont put any more stress on the mid or forward frame. I'd be paying lots of attention the the rear motor mount, swing-arm pivot, and chain alignment. When i built mine I made a bunch of measurements regarding the center of the front sprocket and its alignment with the rear sprocket. With the R1's 170hp you want to make really sure the chain is pulling dead strait. I had a bunch of trouble with the stock warrior swing arm flexing and the splines on the drive hub and axle. My solution was an aftermarket chrome-molly YFZ450 swing arm modified to work with the warrior shock. I would also recommend a round carrier.

here is a vid of my old girl

http://youtu.be/B4c2SENYbRY
yeah we are making into a drag bike this guy already has trail/mx bikes. and that thing you built is siiiiiccccckkkkkk haha. thanks for the info man! i saw your bike awhile ago and i was hoping you would see this and give me some input. hahaha im glad you did

Truthfully, a big, well built Raptor motor would stomp a conversion bike, if set up correctly.

These bikes are heavy enough, as is...

Nope. Just nope.

If you say so...

It takes A LOT of time and money to do it right and make it look half way good. Have fun getting it to hook and figuring out tire/gearing, that's why guys with 85hp NA Raptor motors are beating guys with R1 conversions making 140hp.

For a 300ft, a conversion bike just doesn't work.

I know that drag racing is your thing dude but if a conversion is done right it will beat a rappy all day. Just sayin.

From a guy that owns and built a hot-rod hybrid.

The Pros:
-Cost, I dont care what you do you cant make an 85hp 660 for 2500 including the cost of the ATV. $1000 chassis (blown up 660), $800 CBR,GSXR,R6,R1 crashed bike. $700 in extras. BAM Raptor with 100hp!!
-Reliability, If you can get a 660 to make big power how well is it going to hold together if you ride the hell out of it? As good as a bone stock YAMAHA super bike... No its not.
-Arm stretching power, watch my video again.
-Wide speed range in every gear, from 1000-15000rpm. Less shifting and instant wheel spin any time you want it.
-Wheelie at 60MPH
-Crazy top speeds, it is capable of going faster then you'd ever want to go. Trust me 100mph sounds like a great idea until you find yourself on a quad doing 100mph.
-Stability, I don't know if its the gyroscopic effect of the engine, or just the extra 70lbs but its more stable then you'd think.
-Traction, if the terrain is really soft (sand, mud, or snow) sometimes it pays to not shift and just keep revving. Think of a mud racer or formula off-road they are making thrust more then gripping the surface.
-Cool factor
-Sleeper, Nobody expects a quad go this fast. I had a great time on the lake pulling up beside snowmobiles doing 75mph, then pulling away.
-cool running, will a modded 686 raptor be able to run hard all day in the summer? R6 does.

The Cons
-Weight, when you get it stuck, lifting it onto a stand... its like a small 4x4 (big bear).
-No reverse, did I mention its heavy.
-Not a swamp bike, air intake is just above the cylinder head. You cant make it swim like a warrior.
-Parts cost, brakes, tires, sprockets. it eats that **** up.
-Custom parts, you cant find a shifter for mine at the dealer.
-Its HARD to ride, easy to go fast but you have to be on your game or you WILL die/become part of a tree.
-You cant let people try it out, a stock bike can be used by anyone that can use a clutch
-Makes my arms hurt after 20 min.
-Fuel burn/range. I burnt $40 in 5 hours riding on a lake 3 gal/hr (75mph+) Its not bad at trail speeds but going fast it is really thirsty.
-No shop manual
-Not jump-able, small stuff or off hill sure but its not going to work well on an MX track.

Here is the build I posted on Bluetraxx before I made it over here.
http://www.bluetraxx.com/forums/yam...ior-87-present/80702-building-r6-warrior.html

hey sambo I belong to a southeastern region mx/atv club and we have a guy that did a r1 raptor 660 i'm sure he could tell you a lot if you are interested. the site is 4dirt.org and his name is Tommy Bost.

Back