pull starter

Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum

Help Support Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

americanmuscle

Reaction score
I know its been talked about before on here but i searched and can not find it any where. So i was wondering what all is needed to convert to a pull starter. and if it is cheaper than buying a new electric starter.

To make this simple for ya, no it's not going to be cheaper unless you already have a parts engine sitting around with the assembly on it. The parts new will cost you over $150 just for the pull starter, and you really need a head w/manual decompression if you're going to use the pull as your primary starting, or you'll rip your arm out of the socket eventually.

Its not hard to fix the electric start systems, there's only a few parts to it. I'm not sure what your exact issue is though and to be honest, don't have the time tonight to read up on it and help you or i would.

thanks for your honesty. i know the actual starter will get locked up sometimes and il have to tap on it with a hammer. also i have little bits of aluminum in my oil and i know its nothing like piston or anything like that cuz its not smoking at all. every where i see the starter is like 200 something.

oh and when i hit the start button all i get is a little tick everytime i push it comming from under the left rear fender.

that tick is your starter solenoid, probably a weak battery or bad conections coming from the batt to the solenoid

i did my pull starter setup for 504 picked the actual pull starter part for 35 locally from craigslist, i just ran a wanted ad. then got the starter catch that goes on the crank for 8$ plus shipping, i think the crank part is actaully off of a grizz 600 or somthin, but theres alot of bikes thatbhave similiar pull catcches or whatever. and you dont need a decomp lever, you just have to get it to tdc before you pull

I always had metal shavings in my oil filter, it's just normal. Those bits will come from everywhere. It's just normal wear for the transmission to shed some metal flakes off the gears and shift forks from time to time.

Quick and dirty check for your starting system: Use a screwdriver to short the 2 big terminals on the starter solenoid. Make sure the quad is in neutral, because if you have a bad solenoid, the starter will turn and you don't want the quad taking off across the garage without you. Post back up with your results and we can troubleshoot from there.

Back