Please Help Yamaha 350

Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum

Help Support Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fish0rDie

Reaction score
Hey everyone. New to the forum. Have used it just a bit here and there for some advice, but this is my first time posting. TLDR at the bottom. First a bit of backstop.

Got a cheap non running buggy with a yamaha 350. Got the engine out torn down and cleaned. Heads, piston, and jug were absolutely trashed. Went ahead and split the case to look for any further damage, but everything looks clean. So with help from a shitty online manual and multiple YouTube videos everything is put back together the way it goes. Shifts through every gear, forward and reverse work. Everything was fine. Test fit the other crankcase half, bolted 4 or 5 bolts down, got the shifter arm on, everything was fine. Took it back off, put some yamabond 4 on there, torqued all 15 bolts down to 10 ft lbs ( I know torque spec is 7.2, we'll get to that in just a moment). The main shaft is locked. It maybe moves an inch and a half both directions but won't go further.

This first time I thought what the hell, it's whatever I took it all back apart thinking maybe I had screwed something up. This was my first time working on one of these, so I am liable to **** up. Got it apart, and everything was working again. Cleaned it, put yamabond back on, and this time I set the torque wrench to exactly 7.2 lbs. Tightened everything up, and what do you know, still locked. Backed the bolts off to where they are barely touching, and it's tight but spins, back them all the way off, and it spins fine.

Any one else been in this situation? I want this thing back together and running again, but at this point I'm so tired of cleaning this yamabond off the case it's not even funny. I pretty much know its a tolerance issue, but i am unsure of where to go from here. Any assistance would be vastly appreciated. More than happy to upload pictures if needed.

Tldr: When I tighten the bolts on a yamaha 350 even below torque spec, things refuse to move freely.

1676162269429.pngCheck number 27 in the diagram. It has 2 needle bearings they can back out and bind up the transmission. You can just tap them back in with a bearing driver or a socket.

View attachment 5174Check number 27 in the diagram. It has 2 needle bearings they can back out and bind up the transmission. You can just tap them back in with a bearing driver or a socket.
Don't really know how to mark this as solved, but through the couple of forums I'm on I was able to figure it out. It was this gear right here. Probably Moreno the shaft. I have no idea what was up. Needle bearings were in place, and 1 washer on each side. Exchanged it with another and it turns fine now.

Attachments

• 20230203_154240.jpg
    20230203_154240.jpg
    984.4 KB · Views: 0
  • 20230119_111728.jpg
    20230119_111728.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
Was this case ORIGINALLY assembled using a paper gasket? I only ask as I've come across cases that used a paper gasket from the factory and that gasket thickness is CRITICAL to assembly. I know most cases no longer use anything other than whatever RTV or anaerobic sealer the OEM builder prefers but it's worth noting.

Was this case ORIGINALLY assembled using a paper gasket? I only ask as I've come across cases that used a paper gasket from the factory and that gasket thickness is CRITICAL to assembly. I know most cases no longer use anything other than whatever RTV or anaerobic sealer the OEM builder prefers but it's worth noting.
We figured it out. It was the shaft that went through the smaller gear on the left side.

Latest posts

Back