Piston & Top End Question

Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum

Help Support Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
JE has the best pistons hands down.

As for price, wiseco makes good stuff. But to do a full topend is around 250-350$ if you tear it down and put it back together.

If your needing a topend rebuild I'd go .020 over stick a wiseco in it, a tusk gasket kit, have the jug bored and honed. Have the head cleaned, and new valve seals and valve job done. Then put it together.

JE only makes standard and .080 over pistons. Otherwise I would suggest their pistons

@duneracerweston : i just wanna put fresh parts in.just a simple tear down clean and put it back together. im not doing the any bore or hones so what do you recommend ? if there is a better or high compression piston kit for the stock bore i will get that...just throw some suggestions my way....

Run it till it smokes then bore and hone, wiseco 20 over and call it a day. But if it runs without problem, why rear it down? And I would bet money it will smoke if you put new rings in a old or "used" bore.

I'd wait till it needs tear down before tearing it down.

ditto^^ you have to at least re-hone the stock bore jug or have it re-honed to put the crosshatches back in the cylinder so your rings can seat properly. Your running stock bore yourself aren't ya weston?

whats the comp rate normally on the JE 83? Looking at a std bore high comp rebuild and head work this winter on my spare motor.

Last edited:
I'd do what Weston did, and run 2 base gaskets with the 12:1 to lower comp just a tad to make it more pump gas friendly. That, or if the head needs to be decked for a good gasket surface, run the 10.5:1.

Back