oil changes

Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum

Help Support Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't know how to explain the several clutch slippage issues we have had here with car oil in the case. Switched to oil with out the detergents and problem solved.... Dunno man.

Detergents? Do you mean the additives package? SG rated oil (common for mc oil) still has all that kind of stuff, including 'detergents'.

As I said before, if slipping starts, then a worn clutch issue is being revealed. If you start with a fresh set of clutch plates, and start with a good synthetic auto oil, you'll be OK. I've used Mobil-1 10w30 and Amsoil 10w40 for years on Blasters, Banshees (one of them making well over 80hp), and now my 2 Raptors. In every case, the switch was made at the 1st oil change.

A lot of guys will make the oil switch after the clutch is well used, and that will make a big difference.

My friend has an R6 that he ran Mobil 15w-40 in it from the day after his break in oil change. After putting on about 10,000 miles the clutches started to slip or wear funny... this is what the dealer told him when he had it in for a service. I didn't see it or anything.. They told him to run the motor cycle oil of that brand mobil one and he would have no problems.

OK, now that I'm logged into place with my own account....

Unfortunately theres A LOT of misinformation perpetuated by mc dealers and the manufacturers of mc specific oil. They have a vested interest in telling people that, its a way for them to make money. Theres HUGE profit margins in mc specific oil and absolutely ZERO benefit for the end-user.

When it comes down to it, most motorcycle oil is just and SG rated oil, there is nothing special about. They cannot, by law, make any significant changes to the formula, all additives and base chemical components are strictly regulated by federal law.

There is NO magic-bullet ingredient or formulation for mc oils (and thats exactly what they are trying to make you believe there is).

A worn clutch, be it minor or major, will reveal itself when using EC and/or Synthetics, its that simple. Unless you pull the fiber plates, mic them, know what the range is, and know for certain what theyre supposed to look like, youre not gonna know. Everyone clutches differently, some people get 60K miles out of a clutch, some get 10-15K at most.

Guys, I've built many high HP applications in my day, and I've been through the mc oil thing quite a few times. If youre getting slippage, you need to take into account a few things:

1. Clutch wear, hours and miles wont tell you, you gotta pull the plates.
2. How long have the current clutch plates been in 'regular' oil before switching to a auto oil (synth and/or ec)?
3. Is the clutch spring(s) good?

Every situation is going to be a little different, you cant generalize by comparing 1 persons ride & habits to anothers.

For example, some Bandit 1200 guys run auto Mobil1 5w30 or 10w30 (bear in mind, 10w40 SG is considered standard for this bike) after their 1st oil change, and put on A LOT of miles, in a couple cases almost 100K mile on the original OEM clutch!.

Now some others will make the switch say at 15K miles from dino oil to a synthetic, and they get slippage! Mic'd the fiber platers, and theyre basically within spec. The clutch plates have been soaked and saturated with the old stuff, that has a polishing effect on all the plates. Introduce a more slippery medium (synthetic oil), and you get a cohesion problem.

Solution? They add 1 Barnett HD clutch spring (theres 4 springs in this clutch assembly), problem solved, no more slippage, and the plates begin to bed-in again with the synth oil.

Theres always a simple logical approach to this stuff, and marketing info has to be ignored to great degree - companies tend to lie to sell products ;)

If you like to read some interesting stuff on MC vs. Auto oils, there a very good article/test (its a little older, but he info is valid to this day):

http://www.nightrider.com/biketech/oiltest1.htm

In the end, just buy whatever makes you happy and works for you, its your money after all :)

I just love a lot of information and the nice general discussion. Thanks for all the info.

Hmmm very interesting article! I hate our Spectro sales rep, the guy is full of **** every time he comes in the door. He is always claiming about how Spectro uses only the best base stock and along with all the hype.

I run Amsoil in my quad, bike, lawn mower, and truck - I love the stuff.

Hmmm very interesting article! I hate our Spectro sales rep, the guy is full of **** every time he comes in the door. He is always claiming about how Spectro uses only the best base stock and along with all the hype.

I run Amsoil in my quad, bike, lawn mower, and truck - I love the stuff.

LOL! The Spectro reps I've dealt with in the past fit your reps description perfectly, lol. I think theyre all like that, hehe.

Amsoil rocks, cant go wrong the stuff. Amsoil and Mobil1 is all I'll use in my bikes/quads after break-in is done.

Usually your "motorcycle" oils have to meet the JASO certification. The JASO Engine Oil Standards Implementation Panel consists of six organizations; Petroleum Association of Japan (PAJ), Japan Automobile Manufacturers Association, Inc. (JAMA), Society of Automotive Engineers of Japan, Inc. (JSAE), Land Engine Manufacturers Association (LEMA), Japan Lubricating Oil Society (JALOS), and Japan Boating Industry Association (JBIA) as well as other concerned companies (lubricant additive manufacturers). Notice a Japanese theme here ;).

The bad thing about JASO standard is that it has remained unchanged since 1993. Oil quality and technology has substantially changed in that time. So you could have an inferior oil and still meet the JASO certification. Many test have shown that some of your JASO certified motorcycle oil has significantly more amounts of Molybdenum (moly) than your quality synthetic oils.

20 hours changes that Death is doing is what the YFZ calls for. The YFZ is a much higher compression/higher RPM engine than the 350, therefore breaks down the oil quicker. My KTM 525 calls for a 15 hour service interval. With the 350 you do not have to do this drastic of an interval.

I personally run the Rotella T Synthetic commerical diesel oil also. The commercial diesel oil is designed for long service intervals, extreme rpms and temperature and is clutch safe. Some of the turbos on diesels turn at 40,000 RPM's +. A lot of your industrial diesel engines run with a wet clutch configuration. The best thing is you can pick up Rotella T Synthetic for $17 a gallon from you local retailer.

Also the only oil Rekluse clutches recommends is Rotella.

The point is as long as you use a high quality name brand oil you will be fine. I would stay away from the oils labeled "energy conserving" just to be safe though.

Remember that manufacturers spend a lot of money on advertising to "tell" consumers what is best. When I was in the petroleum marketing business I would go to local shops/dealers and buy them lunch and tell them that my product was the best. Amazing how a little free pizza and pop would have them telling all their customers the same.

Come on Griff, the bottle has a sticker with a MOTORCYCLE on it......That means it's gotta work. Just like asprin for back pain, and asprin for joint pain, and asprin for.... Well you get the picture...... HAHA

I jsut recenlty switched from maxum 20w-50 blend to amsoil synthetic 10w-40. after i started riding it today it seemd to shift smoother but the clutch seem to grab softer as if it was slipping a little. i only got to ride it for about 15 mins so i really didn't have the chance to check if it was slipping.. also it seems that my performance have went down a lil. it takes me a little bit longer to rev through each gear. and ideas... could it be the oil??? before shifting through the gears were much harder and the clutch grabbed harder to.. and also the engine reved through each gear fairly quickly..

Come on Griff, the bottle has a sticker with a MOTORCYCLE on it......That means it's gotta work. Just like asprin for back pain, and asprin for joint pain, and asprin for.... Well you get the picture...... HAHA

LOL!

I personally run the Rotella T Synthetic commerical diesel oil also. The commercial diesel oil is designed for long service intervals, extreme rpms and temperature and is clutch safe.

A lot of guys on my site run Rotella T, its good stuff, though it wont shift quite are smoothly as say Amsoil or Mobil auto/mc oil. Diesel spec requires a certain cohesion specification because diesel engines tend to run roller-rockers (they need some friction to work properly). If the oil is too 'slick' the rollers dont roll, they just slide, and wear down eventually (which is a pricey fix for a diesel engine when it grenades).

Nice thing about Rotella T (as a diesel oil), it has a kick-ass additives package.

If anyone ever want to see how a particular oil is doing in any of their vehicles, check out these guys:

http://www.blackstone-labs.com/

Click on the "Free Test Kit" link.

They'll send ya a sampling kit (just some plastic containers for collecting and mailing the sample) for free. The standard test runs $22.50, and IIRC the TBN test is an extra $10. Its a great way to see how an oil is doing in a particular engine. I just sent in another sample from my Grand Vitara (just did its second oil change).

It'll tell ya the viscosity breakdown, elements/metals present (tells ya what kind of wear may be happening in the engine, and where), the TBN test will tell how well the additives package is holding up, and more.

I've had these test run on several of my vehicles, the info can be pretty useful, as it can give you a more precise means of when to change the oil, and if theres any problems developing, etc.

I personally run the Rotella T Synthetic commerical diesel oil also. The commercial diesel oil is designed for long service intervals, extreme rpms and temperature and is clutch safe. Some of the turbos on diesels turn at 40,000 RPM's +. A lot of your industrial diesel engines run with a wet clutch configuration. The best thing is you can pick up Rotella T Synthetic for $17 a gallon from you local retailer.

Yeah!! More like upwards of 120,000 rpm! I've never seen a tractor that shares engine oil and traction clutch oil. Almost every large size tractor I've seen come through the dealship share transmission oil and tracton/pto clutch oil...

I still feel that nothing but a motorcycle oil should be run in a motorcycle. Theres a reason is says wet clutch safe. But then again who am i to judge oils. I know facts that ive realized over the years. Everytime ive ever switched off amsoil and went to a cheaper car oil i got clutch slippage, switch back to amsoil and the problem usually goes away. Same with yamalube also. Yamalube is just as cheap as most car oils so i say why not run it.

Latest posts

Back