No Spark Problem

Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum

Help Support Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The1Hero

Reaction score
Hello All
I have a 1987 Yamaha Warrior that i picked up. The previous owner said it ran perfectly fine before he stored it for the winter. Well when i got it home i tried firing the warrior up no no avail. So i disconnected the Orange Wire that runs to my coil and put a light tester and cranked the motor over. Nothing, the light tester did not show any signs of light. If the stator or rectifier is bad will there be no light on the light tester as the motor is turning over? I did pull the stator case and look for any burn marks or anything, it looks perfect. So how can i fully tell if its the stator, pickup coil, or the stator source coil. Or if its just the rectifier? I had to install a different key switch b/c it was missing one So i took the wires that turn the machine ON and wired them to the key switch. When i turn the key on my neutral light does come on.
One last thing also to mention, I have to jump the starter solenoid, b/c the start button on the handle is not working properly. I think that is b/c the solenoid is bad. So if anyone can maybe direct me in a direction to go to figure out exactly what it can be.

Last edited:
i would make sure all ur grounds and connections are rust free and clean...warriors have more electrical then needed i think...

Everything been cleaned and put back together, all plugs and grounds, i thought it could be a wire somewhere but everything done with wiring was cleaned and put back together.

Just for kicks, have you tried starting fuild to confirm no spark 100%? I've had instances where the test light wouldn't work, but put an inline spark tester in and it's sparking like crazy.

just pull the plug rest it on the head and hit the start button you'll see if there is spark ..if you have spark put it back in and try starting fluid... if it runs you need to clean the carb

I have a tested for spark with a new spark plug on the head and nothing, no spark what so ever, for shits and giggles i put the plug back in and used starter fluid and would not fire so im defiantly not getting any spark whats so ever. So im thinking the stator is bad, i know they are known to do on the warriors. Im just hoping it is not the cdi box. So i was thinking of buying a new stator and see if that helps, if not it would be the cdi box then right?

The only other componant in the ignition system is the coil. Do you have access to another bike you can borrow parts from? It'd keep you from spending money needlessly. Especially a 1st gen. Not many stators or cdis availible for them.

I have no access to any warriors so thats why im kinda kicking myself in the butt. I do have another atv its a kawasaki bayou 220 which i can just hook the coil up and test it for spark through my system as i know the 220 works and runs great. If i wire that coil to my system it should work right? The last warrior i had was a 1998 with a bad cdi which i put a new one on and never had a problem after that. Im just worried its going to be the cdi as there is not many out there unless you wanna pay 2-4 hundred dollars for one.

Most atv coils are pretty standard. Compare the 2 and go from there. Atleast you can see if that is the prob before you start buying things. Other than that, you can break out the multimeter and probe the resistance of the stator. If the stator tests good, and the coil doesn't fix the prob the cdi is to blame. But, just be sure some mouse didn't chew a wire while it was stored. If it turns out to be a cdi then post on here that you need one and somebody may just have one lying around. If you can't come across one, then getting a harness w/cdi, flywheel, and stator off a newer warrior is another route.

ill try the coil first, then ill check the resistance of the stator, I do have a service manual and just to be certain, The pickup coil should be around 121-209 and the source coil should be about 270-330?

Also check the fused wire to the solenoid. Easily overlooked. It may not fix the firing issue but it Will cause charging issues & cause the start button to not function. Check battery voltage as well, I've had mine not start if battery voltage drops low enough. It'll still whirl over but doesn't seem to have enough juice to fire ignition.

I replaced the fuse so i know that the fuse is good, battery is brand new and fully charged.

I will be doing more test tomorrow afternoon, I will post back my findings and i do greatly appreciate all of ever ones help.

Okay so i did some testing, The stator and pickup coil reads about 183-185.. the ignition coil is dead nothing going through it. I do not know which wire is the stator or pickup coil as my manual is different color codes. If the stator and pickup coil is picking up 183-185 ohm are they both good? or is the main source coil bad?

I want to rebuild the stator, But i have a question about the pulse coil, on the 87 its dual and cant find one like it, can a single work or do i need to order two singles and make it into one?

I am going to pull the stator and reread the ohm to see which one is the low on... I think its the main source coil.

Okay i pulled the stator out, Both pickup coils are reading about 187 which should be good by the service manual (171 - 209). The source coil. I have no ohm going through it, so im going to change the source coil and the ignition coil and see what happens. Will be ordering them this week, so hopefully by next week i can put it together and fire her up.

Back