Newbie need help with wolvrine

Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum

Help Support Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

merky161

Reaction score
I recently bought a 1998 Wolverine 350 4x4, the previous owner told me that he rebuilt the top end, bored it out .030 over, put in a hot cams stage one camshaft, and complete DG exhaust system. He did not rejet the carb. The problem I am having is that when the engine is cold it starts up fine, idles fine, and runs like hell, however, once the engine gets HOT it will not run when I hit the throttle, it bogs really bad and will stall, I can sometimes get it to run if I feather the throttle, it idles fine though until I give it gas. Once it cools down it is fine until it gets hot again. I have cleaned the carb, checked the float level and put new gas in. I was told that it needs rejetted. I took out the main jet and it is a 140 main jet, stock from my manual says 135. Oh and I also check to make sure the parking brake switch wasn't engaged. What size main should I start with. Am I missing anything else that would cause this condition. One more thing, it seems to run extremely hot just after 3-4 minutes, so hot that if I drop water on the carb intake boot (the metal side)connected to the head water will evaporate immediately. The plug color is sooty dry and black..

Hey Merky,

Can you give us more detail on what you did to fix..i.e. what kit you bought and what all you did like just replaced main jet or..

Also, did the jets help to cool things down or just fix your stalling?

h0p16 said:
Hey Merky,

Can you give us more detail on what you did to fix..i.e. what kit you bought and what all you did like just replaced main jet or..

Also, did the jets help to cool things down or just fix your stalling?

I bought the dynojet kit Q403 which is a stage 1 kit. I drilled the slide, replaced the main jet from a 140 to a 160. I left the air box lid modified. When I first started the quad you could tell immeditely the difference, ex, it started easier and idled better but I still had a little pop through the carb. Took the carb apart and it was clean, checked the float level and raised it 2mm because it was on a little low but within specs. When I ran it and pulled the plug it was running a little lean. The dynojet kit came with an assortment of main jets but 160 was the largest in the kit. I called dynojet and they told me that the kit was for a stock air box and suggested that I return the air box lid back to stock. Once I did that I took it out again and checked the plug and it was pretty much right on. Before I installed the jet kit the exhaust would glow red, after the install I had no more glowing exhaust. And yes it idles fine now.

Thanks for giving us the details!

Even though I understand conceptually that a well tuned ride is a combination of many things, I still find it amazing how easy it is to run into issues when we get the wrong combo of air to fuel.

I am about to attempt my first jet replacement due to an overwhelming desire to have that lower HMF growl coming out of my pipe but after reading your post I must admit I'm a bit nervous.

Keep your fingers crossed for me :D

That's weard

Mine is total opposite it starts like **** when cold but excellent when warmed up Plus to start it I have to bring the idle screw way down to the point of stalling for it to start. If I don't it kicks hard on the starter. I posted a vid of it in another post.... Just wondering if you would have a suggestions

Back