Newb setting timing Please help!

Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum

Help Support Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Basketcase350

Reaction score
I have probably set the timing 30 times. I end up with the same marks every time. I can't get the line on the cam gear to line up exactly with the mark on the head. The crank is at TDC. As soon as I put the chain tensioner on the gear moves the chain either before of after the mark on the head.

The motor does turn freely but I am hearing what sounds like a valve hitting. But when I turn the motor on a wrench the noise I'm hearing is only when the piston is all the way down. As confusing this may sound, I have recorded a video I just don't know how to post it. And it probably to long of a video.

Any insight to getting the marks 100% lined up would be greatly appreciated. I am mechanically inclined but this is my first four wheeler tear down. I only took it apart to replace the head gasket. Any ?s please feel free to ask. I feel like the motor and timing is good but not 100%. Thanks

If your a tooth off unbolt tensioner then remove the cam gear lower it enough that you have slack and move the chain to which ever side you need a tooth or 2. Put gear back on stick you finger in the tensioner hole and put tension on the guide to tighten the chain. Turn engine counter clock wise make sure you lining up the t NOT the f. Easiest to do with spark plug out. Once you line up then install your tensioner spin it a few more times counter clock wise and check make sure you line and good to go.

You own a Warrior, welcome to the club, that's how they are bro. The only one I ever saw have the marks line up perfectly was my own on the new build with a new chain.

Thanks:tup:. I do not regret buying my sled at all! I be rode CRs all my life. I have a lot of fun on the yfm though!

This is what I end up with... With the crank at TDC. The "T" mark not the F. I can line up the gear line to the mark on the head. But as soon as the tensioner goes in it moves the gear not the crank. If that makes sense

Attachments

• 20131201_153148.jpg
    20131201_153148.jpg
    91 KB · Views: 16
Its close enough. Youll be ok there but you should look into a new chain yours is stretched.

Back