New Wolverine drain plug (pics and part numbers)

Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum

Help Support Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Glenn

Reaction score
A few weeks ago, I attempted to change my oil before a ride. Usually, this a 30 minute ordeal...max. To make a really long story short, I could not remove the drain plug. I had torqued it down to spec, but the bugger wasn't moving. I was getting desperate, so I stood the quad up on the rear and broke out the impact wrench. This was calculated risk since were dealing with a lot of soft aluminum. I cranked the regulator way down and used the lowest setting on the wrench. Thankfully, after a few seconds it broke free. I have no idea why it was on so tight. The only think I can think of is when I last changed the oil, it was cold out. Maybe I over torqued?

Anyway, I picked up a new drain plug. The parts guy told me the part number had changed it was a new plug.

Old part # 30x-15351-00-00

New part #4HC 153551-00-00

Here are some side by side pics. As you can see, the head on the new plug is a bit larger and the wrench feels like it grabs better. In addition, there are ridges on the side. I'm assuming these are a last resort if the bolt head strips out.

2_Drain1_1.jpg

2_Drain2_1.jpg

I'm guessing a lot of of the old ones were stripping out.

I wonder why my pics aren't showing up in the above post?

You are right Gleen, if you are not careful and you do not apply enough pressure, the socket will simply slip and round the corners. The new part seems to be much deeper thus preventing that kind of problem.

N.B: I don't know why your pictures weren't showing but I took to liberty to use the new upload feature on the Forum to display them correctly.

Yep yep and yep.... all lead to the same thing - better ability to remove the plug. The lugs on the newer plug allow you to get on it with a punch as a last resort.

On a side note, the reason it gets tighter as life goes on is that the plug and the engine actually heat up at different rates and in turn, over the long haul, seem to tighten things up. Next time it happens, if you can't simply break it loose with the normal amount of effort on the end of your 3/8" ratchet, take a hammer and give the nut a nice little pop - the viberation should cause it to immediately loosen up. I've done this for a very long time and have never had to replace an OEM Wolverine or Warrior plug.

I was very surprised this even happened. I'm a little OCD with the torque specs. Yes, I torque my train plug to the factory spec in the manual. :lol:

lol Glenn... Ya know, there is a reason the manual gives the specs - they are meant to be followed.

I follow the specs most of the time but not all of the time - so I commend you on your OCD.

Btw.. you have a pm.

:lol:

I replied to your PM. Did you get it?

feel free to e-mail me. glennmj (at) gmail.com

Glenn said:
:lol:

I replied to your PM. Did you get it?

feel free to e-mail me. glennmj (at) gmail.com

Yet another pm off to the dearly departed land of the pm eater. Didn't get one - you weren't swearing at me already in it so Steve had to delete it, were ya? hehe.

Another Michigander moved up here that I'm decent friends with. He just acquired a 400ex so now we're on the lookout for a place to ride - riding with someone that knows not only where they are, but where they can / can't ride would be worthy of driving for it. Maybe we can set a play date?

2 questions:
Why do you use that drain plug? There is a different one just to the rear of that one on my '06 Wolv. Perhaps it's different on yours!?!?! I do use the one shown sometimes if I haven't cleaned the screen in a while. Otherwise I just use the one in the back. It's easier without the spring and screen to deal with.

What year did they change to the new style. My Wolv has the new style since I bought it...used...but only 6 months old.

Latest posts

Back