New one-way installed…issues

Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum

Help Support Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I’ve been restoring this bike over time. I knew the one way bearing was going bad as it would only intermittently engage. I tore it all down and replaced the one way assembly. I dunked assembly in oil and installed. I did clean and dry the tapered portion to get a good seat. Once all back together, it won’t spin the engine. Just spins the starter. One of two things, either the oil inside the sprag is preventing it from biting or the stator got damaged and now my starter spins backwards!? Any advice appreciated.

I’ve taken it back down twice now. When I pull the assembly off the crank, the gear works fine in my hand. Locks when turned to the right or clockwise. When installed just spins over. Everything is meshed and seats just fine on the crank. Now I did remove an OEM part and put in a fleabay one way assembly. It works in my hand though just not when installed. Is there anything with the stator that I could have screwed up or could cause this?

Man. I haven’t put much thought into this since it happened. My 15 year master tech experience is slapping the crap out of me right now. I didn’t unhook the battery when I pull the stator housing off. I would think I likely fried it. I never disconnected it from the harness so she would have had fire the whole time. Duh. I guess I’ll look up the resistance spec for the windings and check it. Dang it. I bet I smoked it.

I got it. When I swapped the new one way onto the flywheel, the new bearing had the hub piece where the sprag goes installed backwards. Causing the sprag to bite in the opposite direction. I took it off, flipped it over and she fires right up.

Back