Need help with wiring no start issue

Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum

Help Support Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dro702

Reaction score
I purchased a 88 warrior 350 with no spark and its a little crusty but i decided to try and get it running. We purchased new electronics with pretty much everything stator ,cdi,solenoids etc and we finally got it to spark but im having issues with where a few wires go. I know these are the neutral switch and reverse switch but im not sure where to plug them in. My clutch lever doesnt have a safety so i know i have to bypass it. Theres a switch right on the reverse lever, also a switch under the clutch pedal and another switch that is right where the reverse rod connects to the back of the engine. My questions is where does each go? The short green and white wire i plugged into the switch on the reverse lever, the blue teal wire plugged into the neutral wire and theres a green and black wire that i plugged into the switch thats connected to where the reverse rod thing is. When i connect everything this way my neutral light works as it should but my start button doesnt work unless i unplug the neutral wire or put it in 1st gear. I tested the reverse light for power and its at constant 12v regardless of what position the lever is in. Im not sure what the correct way to go from here. Has spark but wont turn iver with recoil starter. Anyhelp would be appreciated.

Quick update, it ended up being a bad relay so i think everything works as it should electronically but i cant seem to get ut to start. The bike has spark and compression. It currently has no exhaust or intake. All it does its crank and occasionally backfire fuel back out of the carb. What could be the issue?

Sounds like timing to me.
Yea i checked and it looks ok. I got it to run once with starter fluid but i shut it off since it has no exhaust or intake but i cant get it to start again

Last edited:
Check valve lash? Back firing like that is generally a timing thing. This sounds like ignition timing is off.

Check valve lash? Back firing like that is generally a timing thing. This sounds like ignition timing is off.
I turned the motor to the "T" on the compression stroke and cam gear lines up perfectly on the mark. I need to search on how to check valve lash

Mechanical timing might be fine but ignition timing might be off. I’m not familiar with the ignition system of this machine but I know there’s a pick up somewhere that triggers the spark. That timing is what sounds like is off.

This can also be caused by valves mis-adjusted or worn seats, slightly holding the valves open a few thousandths. I'd start with a valve adjustment, which is normal maintenance regardless. I have run across this on motorcycle/ATV engines countless times in my life so check it out. I don't have specs here with me but I'm certain you can find the valve lash specs (cold engine) anywhere. The reason I have cold engine in parenthesis is because you obviously can't get this engine warmed up, so you need to set it to the cold engine specs.

Back