Need help! 2001 Yamaha warrior 350

Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum

Help Support Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nosliwdlanod

Reaction score
I bought a fixer upper warrior 350 last month overly confident with my small engine repair skills. I am $1000 into this project and still unable to get it running and I'm starting to get frustrated. I have the service manual and have been searching google and forums non stop without luck so any advice would be appreciated.
So heres what's going on:
Battery is in spec, stator in spec, bright blue spark from new plug, motor is in time (checked flywheel, and head marks, confirmed cylinder is tdc), pulled head and piston/cylinder look good. I haven't done a compression test but compression feels strong putting finger over spark plug hole (pulls air through carb/out exhaust), starter turns motor over fine, inspected and adjusted valves, seem fine. Brand new caltric carburetor from Amazon (original damaged), carburetor inspected and adjusted. New oil, air, and fuel filters and of course new gas. All lights work and appears to shift into gears correctly.

Have tested 3 different stators and 3 different cdi boxes.
Motor occasionally putters or backfires (mostly nothing).
Have tried quick start fluid - no change.
Have tried bypassing parking brake and clutch sensors.

I will take and upload any photos requested
Thanks in advance!
00z0z_8spf0zbF2CI_600x450.jpg

Hey I'm a big fan of the warriors. if you haven't got any progress on this project yet. I'd like to help if you still have a need.

Theoretically with good spark and proper timing, the engine should at least fire up on starting fluid. Are you positive you have the engine timed properly? (It is possible to be 180 degrees out) It sounds like you do but worth a double check...

What are the symptoms? Does the engine idle? Does it even start? If the engine idles fine, but putters or backfires under throttle then your accelerator pump is not working. Have you tested the voltage regulator?

Did you by chance find the issue for this? I have a ‘99 warrior that is doing the same thing.

Back